Author Topic: hipo alt. pulley  (Read 1737 times)

tomhawk

• View Profile
hipo alt. pulley
« on: February 08, 2023, 06:00:17 PM »
Working on Hertz 1831. Should alt pulley be black or gold cad.?  Also what color should the alt. fan be?   Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:08:05 PM by tomhawk »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: hipo alt. pulley
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 07:11:51 PM »
Working on Hertz 1831. Should alt pulley be black or gold cad.?  Also what color should the alt. fan be?   Thanks
The most typical expectation would likely be the gold fan and gold pulley .That is not to say that there were not some black fan and black pulley that still happened. There are even examples of black fan and gold pulley .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 09:30:22 PM »

Respectfully disagree and would suggest you choose black pulley and black fan

Just a few examples from around your time period

The very very very rare and odd ones are those with blue fans  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 09:34:59 PM »

Respectfully disagree and would suggest you choose black pulley and black fan

Just a few examples from around your time period

The very very very rare and odd ones are those with blue fans  ::)
Jeff ,I would hesitate to say that is the only way as your reply seems to imply.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »
Jeff ,I would hesitate to say that is the only way as your reply seems to imply.

"would suggest you choose" is based on my experiences and what I've found on unrestored examples both San Jose K codes and Shelbys except when the alternator has been restored at some point or the pulley possibly replaced since the service replacements were zinc dichromate.  From my experience that is what would be typical for the time period his car was constructed

Have cars as late as #2169 (pictures from 1966), #2268 & #2371 with those finishes Just to name three really nice examples
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 10:43:55 PM »

"would suggest you choose" is based on my experiences and what I've found on unrestored examples both San Jose K codes and Shelbys except when the alternator has been restored at some point or the pulley possibly replaced since the service replacements were zinc dichromate.  From my experience that is what would be typical for the time period his car was constructed

Have cars as late as #2169 (pictures from 1966), #2268 & #2371 with those finishes Just to name three really nice examples
I should have been more clear in that my use of "expectation" is what others would expect and not have to be explained to a uninformed observer. I agree the black pulley and fan was used well into 66 production. 

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 12:09:17 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I removed the pulley Has always been black. To my surprise the fan had blue paint under the pulley also blue on the underside of the fan. So my pulley will be black and have a blue fan.  Sure will have more questions during resto.  Thanks again

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 12:23:32 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I removed the pulley Has always been black. To my surprise the fan had blue paint under the pulley also blue on the underside of the fan. So my pulley will be black and have a blue fan.  Sure will have more questions during resto.  Thanks again

I would suspect a rebuild in the past resulted in blue paint. 
I recall seeing that kind of features on 3rd party rebuilders over my 20+ yrs as Ford parts manger.

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 12:45:22 PM »
Never rebuilt all original. Thanks for input

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 01:42:49 PM »
Guess I should have figured this might catch other attention and the reason I guess I mentioned it. Not suggesting anyone paint their blue only if your is blue you might want to investigate further

I recall seeing that kind of features on 3rd party rebuilders over my 20+ yrs as Ford parts manger.

Originally just assumed that some past owner had rattle canned with engine paint during a rebuild or just prior owners being prior owners

That was the thought way back until we found pictures of cars on the assembly line with this followed by unrestored examples (car know to have not had their alternators rebuilt. This is a very rare finding and only a few (hipo and non-Hipo) witnessed by a number of those involved with judging over the years. And one of the reasons its mentioned in the judging rules
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:44:29 PM by J_Speegle »

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 01:55:05 PM »
Guess I should have figured this might catch other attention and the reason I guess I mentioned it. Not suggesting anyone paint their blue only if your is blue you might want to investigate further

Originally just assumed that some past owner had rattle canned with engine paint during a rebuild or just prior owners being prior owners

That was the thought way back until we found pictures of cars on the assembly line with this followed by unrestored examples (car know to have not had their alternators rebuilt. This is a very rare finding and only a few (hipo and non-Hipo) witnessed by a number of those involved with judging over the years. And one of the reasons its mentioned in the judging rules

Jeff - it is only mentioned on the 1965 judging sheets, not the 1966 sheets.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 03:04:44 PM »
Jeff - it is only mentioned on the 1965 judging sheets, not the 1966 sheets.

Sorry you are correct. Believe we will see it mentioned in the 66 sheets this year since we have examples also from that production year. Only would relate to a handful of cars. Often details like this are left out of rules and dealt with when and if such a car shows up like examples with non-standard black interiors that year

Should mention that this oddity has been found on non-K code Mustangs and other Fords also

Here is an assembly line picture with two alternators visible painted the blue color

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:28:29 PM by J_Speegle »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 03:40:28 PM »
I think that it would only be prudent for a owner/restorer to document in pictures to justify if a odd variation like the Blue pulley or fan should be incorporated into a restoration for THAT specific car. That way a judging team can make a determination if it is valid for that car or not. Just because something is found on a given year car somewhere does not mean it is appropriate for every car of the year. In the past some of these odd things have been left off of judging sheets to minimize confusion and proliferation of a given detail that may only be valid for a very small number of specific cars.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 04:03:56 PM »
I think that it would only be prudent for a owner/restorer to document in pictures to justify if a odd variation like the Blue pulley or fan should be incorporated into a restoration for THAT specific car. That way a judging team can make a determination if it is valid for that car or not. Just because something is found on a given year car somewhere does not mean it is appropriate for every car of the year. In the past some of these odd things have been left off of judging sheets to minimize confusion and proliferation of a given detail that may only be valid for a very small number of specific cars.

+1.  It's an obscure detail that doesn't merit any additional credit, if anything, the blue alternator fans and non-K blue pulley's create confusion for the unfamiliar.  Even finding a blue fan is not a 100% guarantee it's original to a specific car.  If an owner/restorer are confident in the originality of this detail on a car, then with credible proof, it should be acceptable.  The date span I've observed for this is around May '65 through early '66 production... Jeff S has more examples than I do, don't remember when the latest production period they were used.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 04:13:34 PM »
I loaded 2 pics of the alt. as taken apart. Not sure what to do. Can clearly see the blue paint . It does not need to be unique . I may just paint both black,  Thanks for all the comments.