News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Engine on Bring A Trailer

Started by Poor Ron, February 10, 2023, 07:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Side-Oilers

Brett, what happened with the Pantera project?  Power, speed, etc?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 12, 2023, 06:28:34 PM
Brett, what happened with the Pantera project?  Power, speed, etc

Trailer queen show car - I don't think anyone has driven it at any speed lest they ding up the polished aluminum inner wheel wells - it did sound good though. It was kinda Cammer meets turbine with the short pipes off the turbos.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

OldFordGuy

Came here to post this. I knew this would be expensive, but WOW! $65k with 2 days left. Sure would like to see what it ends up going into, or do you put it in a car, ever?
1963 1/2 Galaxie 427 R code
1965 Mercury Park Lane Super Marauder convertible

deathsled

"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 12, 2023, 08:33:43 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 12, 2023, 06:28:34 PM
Brett, what happened with the Pantera project?  Power, speed, etc

Trailer queen show car - I don't think anyone has driven it at any speed lest they ding up the polished aluminum inner wheel wells - it did sound good though. It was kinda Cammer meets turbine with the short pipes off the turbos.

Are you talking about this one ?

Don't know how functional it is, but boy it sure looks purteeeeeeee
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 16, 2023, 10:38:06 AM
Are you talking about this one ?
That one looks like it has different flares. Those look like the regular Group 5 flares and Megabuck had ones that looked similar but were a couple inches wider - they were hand formed out of steel and hammer welded to the body so you didn't see a seam. I couldn't see someone tossing out the aluminum inner panels either - they were a work of art. There was also a polished full belly pan and polished aluminum inner wheel wells. Last I heard the car was in a private collection in the Carolinas. Dennis (the builder) loved it whenever it changed hands whoever bought it would send it to him to be freshened. Everyone wanted it running but no one seemed willing to drive it. George Stauffer owned it at one time and he pulled out the custom nixie tube gauges (that never worked right) and put in normal gauges. The wiring on the car was a nightmare - it was all red with no coding/tracers on them. I had a couple hundred pictures I took while it was being built. Dennis brokered a deal to sell them to one of the owners - I should have made an extra set of prints there were lots of little details. I think I still have some of the Rossa Carrera red lacquer that was ordered from Italy by the local Ferrari dealer for it. I imagine the car has cracked and checked by this time. It's been 40+ years since it was laid on.   

csxsfm

Was the builder "Dennis" as in Dennis Zainfeld?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: csxsfm on February 16, 2023, 04:46:58 PMWas the builder "Dennis" as in Dennis Zainfeld?
Yes - he built the Pantera for a guy in Utah. Chuck Beck is the one who made the engine compartment 9" wider to fit the Cammer https://newsandviewsusa.com/chuck-beck-living-legend/ He's still going strong at 85 - he was also a fabricator at SA on the GT40s. Dennis moved his shop 3 times while the Pantera was being built - that was a chore. Dennis' parents lived next door to a friend of mine. Across the street was Rick King a guy whose Red 55 Tbird with a blown BB Chevy was in Hot Rod a couple times (his mom bought it new and within a week of Rick buying it he had a 327 Chevy in it - his dad was not happy). Around the corner was another guy whose dad had crewed on a 67 Kar Kraft TA Mustang he owned a dyno tune place we always used after hours. The kid Steve Dragus built a 60 Falcon with leftover TA parts a full cage and a Hilborn injected HM small block. It was a pretty competitive neighborhood. Both of them have passed away now.
As Ken Young would say - only in Southern California.....

OldFordGuy

There was a 427 on Los Angeles Craigslist the other day (gone now). Had an H scratch. Guy wanted $6500 for it. Does that H scratch mean it was a cammer block? Man, someone got a real deal if that's the case.

ETA: 1965 CXXX-H block, did not appear to have cammer heads on it. Chrome valve covers. Single 4 barrel.

azdriver

My C5AE-H block has an H scratch on the back...

Pat

OldFordGuy

Quote from: azdriver on February 16, 2023, 09:57:51 PM
My C5AE-H block has an H scratch on the back...

Pat

And is it a cammer? (I'm trying to learn how to identify one).

azdriver

No it is not so apparently the H is not cammer specific..

Pat

OldFordGuy

Quote from: azdriver on February 17, 2023, 07:40:38 AM
No it is not so apparently the H is not cammer specific..

Pat

So, from what I can gather there is no way to ID a block as a cammer without removing the heads. Does anybody want to correct me on that?

98SVT - was 06GT

https://www.diyford.com/how-to-identify-a-ford-big-block/

This is the 427 SOHC Cammer Side Oiler block. What makes this block SOHC-specific is the oil drainback passage (arrow) for the hemispherical heads. You can run wedge heads on an SOHC block. However, you cannot run SOHC heads on a wedge block.

Special Ed

Correct rear of sohc block has raised hump where it is drilled out at top of block corner to route oil back in the pan and  bottom oil hole can be seen on rear corner of block by the steel crank. There were several versions and castings ID of the 427 side oiler block from early to late and cavity moulds sand castings of the raw blocks.  Another way to tell a sohc block id no cam bearings in middle and rear since only need the front cam bearings for the short stubby cam that turns the dual point distributor. Some cobras  reportedly came with sohc blocks of which will work on FE heads but u cant run sohc heads on any block but a sohc block.