News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

KR oil pressure sender

Started by Jack4159, February 11, 2023, 02:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Fired the KR up today, first start since resto began 2/3 years ago so a very rewarding day.
All went well, no leaks etc, just a couple of guage issues to sort.
Oil pressure guage not reading correctly, just goes hard right as far as it can.
I bought a sender unit from NPD link but now suspect that unit is for mustang guages only, not Stewart Warner and is causing this issue.
Found a thread on here that says I need "stewart warner D-353-Z' sender(thank you Coralsnake)
My question is, does it have to be a NOS or used sender, or is there a new alternative that works.
I searched the Stewart Warner website for D-353-Z and nothing came up.
Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jack4159 on February 11, 2023, 02:22:06 AM
Fired the KR up today, first start since resto began 2/3 years ago so a very rewarding day.
All went well, no leaks etc, just a couple of guage issues to sort.
Oil pressure guage not reading correctly, just goes hard right as far as it can.
I bought a sender unit from NPD link but now suspect that unit is for mustang guages only, not Stewart Warner and is causing this issue.
Found a thread on here that says I need "stewart warner D-353-Z' sender(thank you Coralsnake)
My question is, does it have to be a NOS or used sender, or is there a new alternative that works.
I searched the Stewart Warner website for D-353-Z and nothing came up.
Thanks in advance.
Yes it needs to be a Stewart Warner sender to work properly and accurate with the Stewart Warner gauge.  It doesn't have to be NOS and it can be used. They are very durable and last a long time. Disconnect the wire from the sender and see if that makes a difference. The gauge wire may be grounding out somewhere because even with the wrong sender I don't think it will go full tilt. If it still goes full tilt even with wire disconnected then you need to trace where the wire is grounding out. If after disconnecting the gauge wire from the sender the gauge reads 0 then it is in fact the sender. If you can't find a proper sender PM me , I have a shelf full.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Jack4159