News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

5R097

Started by Speed Six, February 11, 2023, 06:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speed Six

A friend has been offered (first steps - no amount disclosed etc) what seems to be 5R097, at least that´s stamped on the chassis plate. All sound a bit suspicious...
Car is located in Switzerland (at least this might fit in), but hasn´t 097 been lost/destroyed ? Or resurrected ?
We just want to be sure what it could be.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

SFM5S000

According to the edition of the registry I have, 5R097 was wrecked and re-bodied. There is also  talk or sightings of a clone being raced in Europe with a 097 stamping. There is also a mustang (I'm assuming a clone) with the same number here on the west coast.

It would be highly advisable that your friend do his due diligence and check the Ford VIN of the car that's being presented to him against the confirming numbers with Howard Pardee.

The registry, also states the there was nothing left of the original chassis. 097 in my opinion should be classified as a "Known Destroyed" unless the Ford VIN numbers come back matching what Howard has.

Cheers,
~Earl J

Speed Six

Earl - thank you very much for your reply.
It's as I thought - I guess the car in question is the one that races over here in Europe.
I already told him to not expect anything genuine, but wasn't totally sure about the story of 097.

texas swede

If my memory serves me right, many years ago I bought a 65 Shelby 7/16"oil pressure line from what was said to be
from 5R097. Had it for many years and finally traded it with a friend. Never used it as I have the original 1/2" line on my car.
Texas Swede

TransamEd

A few bits from research and interviews over decades.
According to that 5R097 was raced until 1967 (last known race La Baule), by Pius Zuend initially in 65 (who also raced the DPK4B 1964 Alan Mann Mustang) , later also by Hanrioud, Ettmueller and others. In Olon-Vilars it already had a piston damaged and the race motur was said not to be restorable (quote: Claude Sage).

Further traces: Over the years the Filippinetti team had various racers with the above being members of the team or contracted, one of them being Herbert Mueller. Herbert had various Shelbys over the years, including some street cars that are fairly known today. Some said Claude Sage, who directed the F. team in those years got 5R097, other rumours are around that Mr. Band. Later on Rene Herzog was the race team leader of the Herbert Mueller race team at least through 1971.

Finally Rene Herzog said in one interview, he bought remainders of the crashed 5R097 and regrets that he let the rest go, as it had little value back then. Rene raced other Shelbys later, but they have no connection to 5R097.