Author Topic: Shelby 10 spokes on BAT  (Read 1539 times)

azdriver

• View Profile
Shelby 10 spokes on BAT
« on: February 11, 2023, 10:07:38 AM »

azdriver

• View Profile
Re: Shelby 10 spokes on BAT
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 03:19:12 PM »
Sold for $3200… thought they would bring $5k

Pat

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 06:15:30 PM »

Pat
3200.00 is not chump change .  I sold a few sets at 5-7K but that was back when everyone with a 68 Shelby wanted them thinking that they were a option. Ever since it has been brought to enthusiast's attention that 99% + came with hubcaps the prices have been depressed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:39:06 PM »

Pat
3200.00 is not chump change .  I sold a few sets at 5-7K but that was back when everyone with a 68 Shelby wanted them thinking that they were a option. Ever since it has been brought to enthusiast's attention that 99% + came with hubcaps the prices have been depressed.
+1
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 10:12:17 PM »
And now Hub Caps are climbing in price!!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 10:18:48 AM »

Pat

Well yes BUT there were '67s "built" with 10 spokes according to MSO documentation now available.

Those wheels vary from the "68 service parts" in that they do not have the 1/8" spacer cast into them for the '68 front disc brake calipers and there are two versions of those. The earliest having no engineering numbers cast in. ;)

I would venture to say that both are extremely uncommon but I have had acknowledgement from "interested buyers" on my "rare parts" that they are "desirable" but  those buyers tend to back away, never to be heard from again, making the parts difficult to sell overnight like in the "old days".

For a '67 application I would speculate that 5 thousand is a nice fair price for a set of 4. Problem is, in '67, the spare would be a 10 spoke also. So how "correct" do you want to be or afford to be?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 11:23:49 AM »
WOW, makes me want to consider selling my 2 sets....? I got a repro set that look great.....but?
RARE  Signature Delete

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 11:29:01 AM »
Happy to say I made the price go down! LOL

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 12:49:11 PM »
Some here may or may not be thinking of all of the dynamics in this scenario but for others reading that may not understand I will go over them . 67 came with 2 different optional wheels besides the base steel wheel and hubcap and with a little over 3200 regular production 67 Shelby's to divide those wheels among there are less 67 buyers for the ten spokes to begin with. Virtually ALL of the 68 came with hubcaps and people wanting something other then hubcaps had to make up and perpetuate the urban legend that the ten spoke was a optional wheel for 68 Shelby's to justify their use. Apparently many did because the vast majority of them ended up with ten spokes on them in some form or fashion.That added a tremendous amount of demand given the over 4500 regular production 68 Shelby's built. Now today the side effect of those people that preached the gospel for some years now of hubcaps instead coming on the 68 Shelby the price of ten spokes took a dive and the hubcaps soared to ever higher prices . The price of tenspokes is moving back up. I get satisfaction in knowing that the 68 truth is getting out there and my like minded peers I am sure feel the same way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 12:52:42 PM »
WOW, makes me want to consider selling my 2 sets....? I got a repro set that look great.....but?
Apparently repro tenspokes are in more demand now since Branda who is the main seller of the tenspoke repro wheel is out.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2023, 01:41:42 PM »
Apparently repro tenspokes are in more demand now since Branda who is the main seller of the tenspoke repro wheel is out.

Those are nice wheels. Fully machined on the reverse side theoretically to clear 68 calipers.

I only have two. They are on the front and they did not clear the stock calipers but definitely make the originals look crude by comparison.

I needed as much room as I could gain since I was fitting the 69 T/A "Big Ford" front disc brake set up.

I would pick at the word, optional, as you are applying it. I do remember 68s new with 10 spokes on them.

In the sense that "optional" means they were not on the option list from Ford or Shelby, yes, but I saw well over, just a few 68s new running them.

Gotham Ford literally was just down the street from me at the time and one of their storage facilities was on w 53 st right across the street from where NBC had moved the Tonight show to.

The door was always open and I could wander around at will but that was Kolb's territory and you could get the car anyway you wanted it.

Those hub caps would never be approved today as safe by the Fed's. They weren't even good UFO's, just lethal ones.

The guy I bought my '68 from was having difficulty with the car being vandalized when parked at work.

The drivers vent window was broken in to, the original driving lamps were stollen, and every hub cap had a missing lug nut where the nubnuts tried to steal the wheels and just didn't understand that the hub caps were not bolted on.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:20:36 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 04:17:00 AM »
If someone here has a nice set of ten spokes for a 67 Shelby I would be very interested in it.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68