News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 Goodyear Blue streak

Started by shelby1817, February 12, 2023, 09:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelby1817

Goodyear Blue streak 6:95x 14  dated MU0C901  Based on research it reads  1966 February  shows at 75% tread plus.   with original 14 inch rim Steel rim  Wheel has been restored  Original tire is as nice as they come  $2,500.00  Ken 734.231.7634   more pics on request  only able to post 4

Bob Gaines

You may want to review posts on this thread questioning the authenticity of the GT350 wheel.  https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=22001.msg168367;topicseen#msg168367 . Best of luck on your sale.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 13, 2023, 04:56:52 PM
You may want to review posts on this thread questioning the authenticity of the GT350 wheel.  https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=22001.msg168367;topicseen#msg168367 . Best of luck on your sale.

Bob, maybe a dumb question but is there a part number on the back? Did the painted wheels start out being chrome?
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on February 13, 2023, 06:38:41 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 13, 2023, 04:56:52 PM

Bob, maybe a dumb question but is there a part number on the back? Did the painted wheels start out being chrome?
I don't think that is a dumb question at all. No part number on the back but there are some number details on the inside of the rim (seen without tire )that help with identification. With a tire mounted you have to go by the rim profile which is different then a regular Mustang magnum . Also the offset of where the center is welded to the rim is unique to the GT350 as far as I know. I have seen most often Mopar wheels with the same rim but different center welded offset. Recently I saw some Chevy bolt pattern correct wheel rims for the first time but the  center had the wrong offset like the Mopar.  We don't know if all the wheels started out chrome or not. Some suspect that blem chrome wheels got painted but that is a lot of wheels to be blems so probably not true . The 1000 66 Hertz cars typically got 5 chrome wheels each.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Original GT350H chrome Magnum 500's are marked inside Jk 795C 14X6 with the 3.375 back spacing.  The original GT350 painted versions are missing the "C" in the "795C" marking.  I expect the "C"is for chrome and the absent "C" is painted.  The 795 series rims with Magnum 500 centers, came with all big three companies, GM, Chrysler and Shelby.  The difference in back spacing and bolt pattern.  Hope this helps.

There is also a later series with markings 50795C.  I expect these are service parts and usually have markings visible on the back side, outer part of rim near bead.  The markings look like a date code, but not certain.

An inexpensive way to save an original chrome GT350H wheel is to paint.  I am aware of at least one 66 GT350 that has the painted chrome magnums that was at a concourse de-elegance and also featured in a main stream magazine article.  No one was to the wise.  I know, because the owner told me and he thought it was fun to disguise this condition.

Cory

Boxerville's Manor

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 13, 2023, 10:14:49 PM
Original GT350H chrome Magnum 500's are marked inside Jk 795C 14X6 with the 3.375 back spacing.  The original GT350 painted versions are missing the "C" in the "795C" marking.  I expect the "C"is for chrome and the absent "C" is painted.  The 795 series rims with Magnum 500 centers, came with all big three companies, GM, Chrysler and Shelby.  The difference in back spacing and bolt pattern.  Hope this helps.

There is also a later series with markings 50795C.  I expect these are service parts and usually have markings visible on the back side, outer part of rim near bead.  The markings look like a date code, but not certain.

An inexpensive way to save an original chrome GT350H wheel is to paint.  I am aware of at least one 66 GT350 that has the painted chrome magnums that was at a concourse de-elegance and also featured in a main stream magazine article.  No one was to the wise.  I know, because the owner told me and he thought it was fun to disguise this condition.

Cory

Where does it mention back spacing on the wheel?  Here are two photos of 795C but don't see back spacing.  Additionally, how do I determine the date? 

6s1640

Hi Boxer,

I'm not sure what you mean by "Where does it mention backspacing on the wheel?" The back spacing is actually measured. It is not stamped or printed on the wheel anywhere.   Check out the below image for a measurement on an original Hertz GT350 wheel. The back spacing is very close to 3 3/8 inches. There is a second image, showing the weld line, closer to the inboard side (where markings are stamped on this wheel) of the rim. If the weld line is closer to the outboard side (The visible side when mounted on a car.), it is likely a Chrysler or GM wheel with a near 4 inch back spacing.

On date verification, as far as I know on assembly line wheels, there are no markings to decipher a date code.

On the wheel for sale, the OP should measure the backspacing and include in the description.

I hope that helps.

Cory