News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What has happened to Shelby prices?

Started by 427hunter, June 23, 2018, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

427hunter

I have been watching the auction on and off for years and I have seen the gradual decline of Shelby prices, now I am keeping my shelby's so for me it's a moot point, but I am still shocked to see how down Shelby prices are. I just watched a 67 GT500 sell for 82k at barrett, I about fell out of my chair!

Is it over saturation ? just too many new Shelby's ? or ?

Interesting question..
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bigfoot

Recently one brought 300k so I imagine there is more at play ....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Vernon Estes

Prices are strong right now.

Not familiar with the Barrett car but there's no shortage of reasons why a car can go for a price that some might consider is under the money.

The market is pretty efficient though.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

1969shelbygt350

Seen a lot of Shelby on eBay and other sites.  Lots of them are still selling. Corrrect
Car will go fast!

SBCARGUY

Quote from: Vernon Estes on June 23, 2018, 08:53:20 PM
Prices are strong right now.   

Not familiar with the Barrett car but there's no shortage of reasons why a car can go for a price that some might consider is under the money.

The market is pretty efficient though.

Vern

+1

427hunter

I guess I am just remembering the higher prices from years back.. You guys are likely right..
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

What's weird to me as that Shelby prices have not gone up commensurate with other muscle/collector cars...The prices I am seeing for some more common vehicles iare crazy to me compared to even 5 years ago....Anyone have an idea why?

Greg

Quote from: 557 on June 24, 2018, 03:50:23 AM
What's weird to me as that Shelby prices have not gone up commensurate with other muscle/collector cars...The prices I am seeing for some more common vehicles iare crazy to me compared to even 5 years ago....Anyone have an idea why?

IMO... its because once a make and model hits six figures the purchasing audience gets smaller but someone can buy a nice 69 mustang resto-mod at half that.  What I can't understand is why 68-70 shelby's prices are down but I do believe they will come up.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

T-Bone68

I also wouldn't use BJ auction as your gauge.  They seem to be more and more catering to the restomod crowd.  You can watch a restomoded to hell car go for several hundred thousand, then the real deal sell right behind it well under value.  Case it point, the Eleanor yesterday went for almost $200k.

sfm5

Quote from: 557 on June 24, 2018, 03:50:23 AM

Guess that must have been what the mopar crowd were thinking 5 or 6 years ago when hemi car prices were tanking and Shelby prices (and air-cooled Porsche) were soaring.  My observation is the overall collector car market is made up of many "sub markets" and they definitely don't move up & down in unison. I also think the '65 GT350 has somewhat detached from the other years and does not appear to go up & down with, for instance, the 68-70 cars. I think Special Ed made this observation here a few years ago and it appears to be on point.
65 GT350

Honestly ,from my observations, 66s  seem almost undervalued for some reason...However ,excepting 65s the L.A. built cars seem to hold more value than the later cars ,not counting convertibles..But then I am biased for sure...But honestly I personally like every iteration of the lil critters!!!

shelbydoug

My price is still the same. Don't come knocking on my door and telling me to sell you my car because you just saw one sell at your price. Your price isn't important. Mine is.

No tickie. No washie. No money, you walkie. Simple.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

BGlover67

Quote from: 427hunter on June 23, 2018, 08:23:44 PM
I have been watching the auction on and off for years and I have seen the gradual decline of Shelby prices, now I am keeping my shelby's so for me it's a moot point, but I am still shocked to see how down Shelby prices are. I just watched a 67 GT500 sell for 82k at barrett, I about fell out of my chair!

Is it over saturation ? just too many new Shelby's ? or ?

Interesting question..

I thought the same thing, but was told by someone in the know that there was a MAJOR problem with that car in question, and everyone knew it.  Prices aren't really down, in fact, I feel they are actually up for good cars. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Blackcar

Hemmings puts out a magazine called Muscle Machines monthly in the back there are results for recent auctions listed bread and butter Shelbys are routinely listed selling under the average selling price.

Quote from: Blackcar on June 24, 2018, 02:07:34 PM
Hemmings puts out a magazine called Muscle Machines monthly in the back there are results for recent auctions listed bread and butter Shelbys are routinely listed selling under the average selling price.

True, but they pick and choose which examples they want to share.