News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

What has happened to Shelby prices?

Started by 427hunter, June 23, 2018, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

Thanks for posting the article Tony- I may not make personal decisions based on it, or even any of these posts, but think its fun and educational to read different perspectives.

There seems to be a common theme in the collector car market decade over decade that the best quality/history etc will bring the most or be the most desirable. I wonder though that if a favored mark does drop in value overall then are some people will be less willing to spend their extra penny's to get their cars to the highest level because they know they will never see a return if they had to sell. In other words, if the mark is doing well "overall" then people may be willing to go over budget but on a down market people may pull back a little- just human nature. I wonder if that translates to more lower dollar restorations ahead (where many of the amazing and expensive restorations came out of a very good market run).  I think about the Model A market (t-bird etc) and the generation that did some amazing restorations and spent lots of money on them back in the 80"s and the fact that "overall" the quality of Model A's available may be down now as a whole because the majority of those people aren't spending the big dollars to restore them now (may not even be driving or alive now).

The generational demand is a big and real influence. Could it mean that two generations of collectors ahead of us will have available to them a greater overall number of Shelby's that are on average cheaper and in not a good overall condition as available during the peak?   Its all interesting to think about (understanding we all come at it with our own filters on as well). I wish I could drive my cars more but I find if I only have a few spare minutes I like to wrench on a car instead of driving.  Others like dreaming about the car market, what restored means or date codes. To me its all as important as we want it to be as individuals and to each his (or her) own.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: cboss70 on June 26, 2018, 02:48:17 PM
Thanks for posting the article Tony- I may not make personal decisions based on it, or even any of these posts, but think its fun and educational to read different perspectives.

Interesting read, but keep in mind it was written about a year ago.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Don Johnston

Quote from: Dizzy on June 26, 2018, 02:47:03 PM
Take coin collectors for instance.....a US Lincoln one cent 1914-D has been a pretty good piece to have in your collection over the years. Never worth less than a penny,and depending on condition,worth hundreds of dollars,if authentic! Millions were made but no where near as many as other mints........and soon became a very desireable coin.

But they do not come back as continuation minted coins to sell at nearly the original coin price. 8)

GT350DAVE

Quote from: jgroce1985 on June 25, 2018, 10:32:54 PM
At the last GAA classic car auction in Greensboro a fully restored 67 gt500 brittany blue sold for 93k, It literally made me sick on my stomach because I left before it went up thinking it would be in 140's...If I had known she would be sitting beside my other brittany blue as we speak..

This car sold cheap because it had very bad history. The buyer did his homework and backed out of the deal.
Support the SAAC Registry

FL SAAC

+ 1

Quote from: Don Johnston on June 26, 2018, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: Dizzy on June 26, 2018, 02:47:03 PM
Take coin collectors for instance.....a US Lincoln one cent 1914-D has been a pretty good piece to have in your collection over the years. Never worth less than a penny,and depending on condition,worth hundreds of dollars,if authentic! Millions were made but no where near as many as other mints........and soon became a very desireable coin.

But they do not come back as continuation minted coins to sell at nearly the original coin price. 8)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

jgroce1985

Oh wow...glad to know ...I did hear in the crowd the day before something about a fire

Yeah well that and the non factory Lemans stripes..Yhats gotta take AT LEAST 30k off the price.... 8)

FL SAAC

Quote from: jgroce1985 on June 26, 2018, 05:39:26 PM
Oh wow...glad to know ...I did hear in the crowd the day before something about a fire

please use the politically correct term if it was bbqed...
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Bob Gaines

Quote from: GT350DAVE on June 26, 2018, 04:59:37 PM
Quote from: jgroce1985 on June 25, 2018, 10:32:54 PM
At the last GAA classic car auction in Greensboro a fully restored 67 gt500 brittany blue sold for 93k, It literally made me sick on my stomach because I left before it went up thinking it would be in 140's...If I had known she would be sitting beside my other brittany blue as we speak..

This car sold cheap because it had very bad history. The buyer did his homework and backed out of the deal.

So with that said does that negate a lot of the narrative on these last many pages?  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Chad

The only thing on that car that left Shelby American is the VIN plate.  Come to think of it that might not have either!

jgroce1985

Wow okay guys I need to know the story now ...What happen!

kjspeed

I wasn't following this one when it came to auction, but looking at the photo, any car that screams AUTHENTIC across the windshield raises a BIG red flag with me. It seems that this is another case of caveat emptor.

I also need to say that when I began my search for a 68 Shelby my first two steps were to join SAAC and this forum. Then I observed and asked questions. This forum is what united me with my car. Many people on this forum gave advice and help so I could have confidence when I pulled the trigger. I was looking for a matching numbers GT500 4-speed and I found several. Then I found the car I wanted and proceeded to research everything I could about it. Then I had to wait for it to NOT sell at auction so I could work out a deal with the owner. But it's now under my care and I couldn't be happier! It's not a GT500, it's not Highland Green, it's not a 4-speed, it doesn't have air and it doesn't have matching numbers. Heck, it doesn't even have an engine that was ever offered in a Shelby. But it's everything I ever wanted in a Shelby and it has history up the wazoo (with the documentation/trophies to prove it). The point being; because of the great folks who contribute to this forum I don't have buyers remorse. I know what I got and I know what else was out there when I bought it. I can sleep tonight. Thanks guys!
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Bigfoot

I follow a few basic cars for fun.
I use EBay sales on cars that allegedly sold as a mark.
Based on this,...in the last 5 years
55 Chevy
67/68 Camaro
67/68 Mustang

All up between 10-20%
For basic nice driver cars with V8 and stick.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

BGlover67

Quote from: Bigfoot on June 26, 2018, 08:19:42 PM
55 Chevy
67/68 Camaro
67/68 Mustang

All up between 10-20%

Other wise known as the BigFoot Report. 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

GT350Lad

Quote from: BGlover67 on June 27, 2018, 12:28:27 AM
Quote from: Bigfoot on June 26, 2018, 08:19:42 PM
55 Chevy
67/68 Camaro
67/68 Mustang

All up between 10-20%

Other wise known as the BigFoot Report.

Pretty spot on!
6S373
6S1276