News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 Shelby Playboy Convertibles

Started by mtdubvee, February 15, 2023, 07:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtdubvee

Hey guys,

I'm trying to dig into the 10 Shelby convertibles that were loaned or owned by Playboy in 1968. From what I've read, all 10 cars were at the Grand opening parade in Lake Geneva in May 1968. I have some letters from Playboy to Shelby discussing the cars and their involvement at the resort.

Does anyone have any photographs of the parade or anything showing the 68 convertibles? I've looked everyone online and even contacted the Lake Geneva news and no luck.

Any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

tesgt350

I used to have a Photo of the Playboy mansion with a lot of Black 68 Shelby Convertibles but can't find it now.

mtdubvee

That would be amazing. I've got the black 350 vert that was one of the 10.

Thanks
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

Coralsnake

I will take "things that don't exist" for $50, Alex  ;)

If you come up with that in the next two weeks, I will pay you the $50

🤪

Mongo

I'm in for that "DAILY DOUBLE"!

would be great after all these years!

silverton_ford

Bigfoot

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 15, 2023, 01:22:55 PM
I will take "things that don't exist" for $50, Alex  ;)

If you come up with that in the next two weeks, I will pay you the $50

🤪

😂
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

mtdubvee

Yes same car. Making some well needed changes at the moment. Engine is out for detailing etc.
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

Royce Peterson

Quote from: mtdubvee on February 15, 2023, 07:24:37 AM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to dig into the 10 Shelby convertibles that were loaned or owned by Playboy in 1968. From what I've read, all 10 cars were at the Grand opening parade in Lake Geneva in May 1968. I have some letters from Playboy to Shelby discussing the cars and their involvement at the resort.

Does anyone have any photographs of the parade or anything showing the 68 convertibles? I've looked everyone online and even contacted the Lake Geneva news and no luck.

Any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

It's going to be hard to document something that never happened.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

mtdubvee

What documentation do you have that shows it never happened? I have documents that show Playboy and Shelby reps planning it all so I'm curious what you have.

Thanks
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Coralsnake

Absolutely 💯 % happened  8) Well documented for years with historical references. The Wisconsin State Journal article is searchable online.

I have spoken to Dianne Chandler and Northwestern owner and salesmen.

There were 10 cars assigned to Playboy and there was a parade in Lake Geneva.

My bounty is on the pictures.

Coralsnake

THE PLAYBOY SHELBYS

Dianne Chandler was Miss September 1966. She also made a visit to Northwestern Ford to promote the new Shelbys. Thanks for the picture Dianne ;-)

Most people are familiar with the pink 1969 Shelby GT500 that was given to the Playmate of the Year. That car actually started out as a Pastel Gray fastback (1969 - Serial Number 1027). It was automatic transmission car without A/C. Almost forgotten are the ten Playboy convertibles from 1968. Shelby had a long running association with Playboy and Northwestern Ford. He visited the dealership frequently.

The convertibles were sent to the Playboy mansion in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The cars had no special identification. In fact, all cars were standard production colors. Six of these convertibles would be sent from Northwestern Ford. The remaining four cars were invoiced to Minar Ford in Minneapolis, Minnesota some 250 miles away.

Here is a picture of a young Hugh Hefner celebrating the grand opening of Lake Geneva. The picture appeared on the front page of the Lake Geneva newspaper in May of 1968.

The cars were used at the mansion, most likely for special guests and staff. All the cars were prepped by the dealerships at the cost of $50. There were five GT350s and five GT500s. The cars stayed at the mansion anywhere from 2-12 months.

The mansion actually opened on Monday 5/6/68. It appears that all ten cars were at the mansion for the opening. Mr. Hefner organized a parade to attract attention. Carroll Shelby participated in the parade. One of Northwestern's salesmen told me Shelby rode in a 427 Cobra. The owner of the car asked Shelby to punch the thin, aluminum skin. Shelby looked at the owner with a puzzled expression. "Punch it . . . and take this marker to autograph the car" Shelby knew how to keep his customers happy and he complied.

From www.theCoralsnake.com

TOBKOB

QuoteShelby had a long running association with Playboy

Carroll Shelby and beautiful naked women ???   Who woulda thunk???   :o

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970