Author Topic: 1965 original horn switch want to trade against Cobra Cast Aluminum Oil Pan  (Read 1664 times)

I have a 1965 original horn switch and I search for a Cobra Cast Aluminum Oil Pan if anyone wants to trade?

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
Are the threads plastic or metal?
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

texas swede

• View Profile
Hi Rick,
This switch has metal threads and consequently not original to a 65 GT350.
Texas Swede

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
Yep, I wanted to make sure. Thanks Bo
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
The metal threads was a later evolution after 65 production ended. The MFG may have had complaints about the plastic base breaking which is why they were replaced by owners on the 65 GT350.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

• View Profile
I bought one with metal threads on Ebay UK for $15 and painted the threads and front cover black.
Only as a spare for the original in my car.
Texas Swede

Hi Rickmustang,

This is the text by Bob Gaines that I found here on SAAC:

I believe the transition to the steel version was a evolution of the design . The plastic ones broke and were replaced with metal threaded version. The readily available supply of the plastic version ran out and more and more and were replaced with the less problematic steel threaded version as time went on . This is the most logical explanation IMO .  If someone has a better one I would like to hear it.

I hope this helps, I can sell the switch for $600 or trade it against one Cobra Cast Aluminum Oil Pan.

Kind regards,
Mikael

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Hi Rickmustang,

This is the text by Bob Gaines that I found here on SAAC:

I believe the transition to the steel version was a evolution of the design . The plastic ones broke and were replaced with metal threaded version. The readily available supply of the plastic version ran out and more and more and were replaced with the less problematic steel threaded version as time went on . This is the most logical explanation IMO .  If someone has a better one I would like to hear it.

I hope this helps, I can sell the switch for $600 or trade it against one Cobra Cast Aluminum Oil Pan.

Kind regards,
Mikael
Yes,most likely transpired after 65 production ended. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby