Author Topic: Ford GT 40  (Read 1002 times)

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
Ford GT 40
« on: March 14, 2023, 10:01:34 AM »
Guys,
I was told about a GT 40 that is being privately offered for 8 1/2 Million Dollars.
My question;
How many GT 40's are worth that kind of asking price ?

I know my friend George 's old #2 Black GT 40 sold>> reports I read, for over 20 Million last time around?
respectfully,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ford GT 40
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 11:57:36 AM »
Its supply and demand. All original GT40s are unique and exclusive vehicles. Good luck on their sale
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 12:04:52 PM »
Guys,
I was told about a GT 40 that is being privately offered for 8 1/2 Million Dollars.
My question;
How many GT 40's are worth that kind of asking price ?

I know my friend George 's old #2 Black GT 40 sold>> reports I read, for over 20 Million last time around?
respectfully,
John

All GT-40s were raced at some point. The Le Mans winning cars are worth a treasure chove mega big bucks. The only versions that did not race (as I believe) were the 'street cars' GT-40 Mk III's. And some of the rarest with only 7 made(?).
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 12:41:16 PM »
I guess that the 8 1/2 million dollar price is fair then.
The car apparently is something quite special.

A World market car, way out of my and most car guys pay grade.
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 01:12:53 PM »

John

The term is "exclusive". That means it excludes most of us from ownership but if you really think about it, why do you want it except for it's exclusivity?

You can drive a current reproduction for a lot less and it is probably a better car then the original ever was AND save on the 2.5% yearly stated value insurance. It is gonna' come to a much smaller number.

That $212,000 comes up too fast for me. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S159

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 01:24:51 PM »

John

The term is "exclusive". That means it excludes most of us from ownership but if you really think about it, why do you want it except for it's exclusivity?

You can drive a current reproduction for a lot less and it is probably a better car then the original ever was AND save on the 2.5% yearly stated value insurance. It is gonna' come to a much smaller number.

That $212,000 comes up too fast for me. ;)

P1076 is owned by a friend of mine.  I can assure you most of the guys trading GT40's (from the 1960's) won't ever spend the money they have, so why not own one?  And if you've owned one long enough, it was probably just a couple million dollar purchase. 
'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 06:51:06 AM »
SFM5S159,
Qoute;
  And if you've owned one long enough, it was probably just a couple million dollar purchase. .

You made me smile, but in fact, that is very true.
That world the 1-5 % live in >>> is and will always be inclusive, as money talks.
John