Author Topic: The recent passing of Bob Aliberto....long time SAAC member  (Read 2563 times)

HERTZ II

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: The recent passing of Bob Aliberto....long time SAAC member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »
I've known Bob for over 40 years. We met when I joined a local Mustang Club and it was he who got me to join SAAC and attend the annual conventions. At those early conventions, passengers were allowed during the open track events and he made sure the passenger seat in his 66 GT350H was reserved for me. It was during those countless laps, as I hung on for dear life, that I decided I wanted to be the one behind the wheel...which led to my own 66 GT350H.
Thanks Bob, for helping create all those wonderful memories...you'll be missed my friend. RIP

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 04:35:52 PM »
They simply do not get any better then Bob. 'Gonna miss you a long time Buddy.  :(
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

66 Hertz

• Greg Kolasa Hertz and GT40 Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 05:18:07 PM »
Before becoming enthralled by Bob's mastery of racing, let's not forget that, at last count, he put EVERY ONE of his race cars on its roof at Lime Rock...and lived to tell the story of each event (of course, he DID end up an inch shorter after the last escapade)!

Bob was never a "fancy" guy and you didn't need "fancy" words to describe him: he was simply a good guy and will be missed.

You can't remember Bob without a couple of short stories:

Bob's nickname of "The Animal" had nothing to do with an evil personality. In fact, quite the opposite. It stems from his desire at one of the Shelby Club's open track events to "bring his per-lap cost below that of the Malibu Grand Prix cars from the last convention". And he did. While most convention goers drove their vintage Shelby Mustangs for 10 or so laps at Pocono Speedway, Bob put better than 80 on his '66 GT350H. That's not 80 MILES...that's 80 LAPS!

Those old convention open track events allowed a passenger to be strapped into the right seat while the driver circulated the track at speeds not much lower than Richard Petty. I remember a ride with Bob at Charlotte in like around 1985. Can you say "hang on for dear life"? As we screamed down the back straight a mere inched from a very hard retaining wall (which routed the exhaust directly into my ears), there was an ever-so-slight (practically imperceptible) change in the exhaust note. Instantly, Bob aimed for the pits, screeching to a halt, as we both exited the vehicle. I pilled the hood retaining pin on my side, Bob did so on his and together, we lifted the hood. Instantly, my face turned to sheer terror while Bobs showed an ear-to-ear grin. The bottom of the hood was literally dripping with oil as Bob reached down, pushed a plug wire onto a spark plug, and we slammed the hood shut. Hopping back in, we were already rolling as I hastily buckled up and hung on for the rest of the session. After it was all over, I asked Bob about all that oil. His response? "It always does that". His cars were never show queens, but boy, did they RUN!

Greg and Carol
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 05:27:00 PM by 66 Hertz »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 05:32:09 PM »
Before becoming enthralled by Bob's mastery of racing, let's not forget that, at last count, he put EVERY ONE of his race cars on its roof at Lime Rock...and lived to tell the story of each event (of course, he DID end up an inch shorter after the last escapade)!

Bob was never a "fancy" guy and you didn't need "fancy" words to describe him: he was simply a good guy and will be missed.

You can't remember Bob without a couple of short stories:

Bob's nickname of "The Animal" had nothing to do with an evil personality. In fact, quite the opposite. It stems from his desire at one of the Shelby Club's open track events to "bring his per-lap cost below that of the Malibu Grand Prix cars from the last convention". And he did. While most convention goers drove their vintage Shelby Mustangs for 10 or so laps at Pocono Speedway, Bob put better than 80 on his '66 GT350H. That's not 80 MILES...that's 80 LAPS!

Those old convention open track events allowed a passenger to be strapped into the right seat while the driver circulated the track at speeds not much lower than Richard Petty. I remember a ride with Bob at Charlotte in like around 1985. Can you say "hang on fort dear life"? As we screamed down the back straight a mere inched from a very hard retaining wall (which routed the exhaust directly into my ears), there was an ever-so-slight (practically imperceptible) change in the exhaust note. Instantly, Bob aimed for the pits, screeching to a halt, as we both exited the vehicle. I pilled the hood retaining pin on my side, Bob did so on his and together, we lifted the hood. Instantly, my face turned to sheer terror while Bobs showed an ear-to-ear grin. The bottom of the hood was literally dripping with oil as Bob reached down, pushed a plug wire onto a spark plug, and we slammed the hood shut. Hopping back in, we were already rolling as I hastily buckled up and hung on for the rest of the session. After it was all over, I asked Bob about all that oil. His response? "It always does that". His cars were never show queens, but boy, did they RUN!

Greg and Carol

Don't forget the 37 runs he made at Milan at the second SAAC Dearborn convention. I remember him coming to me complaining about the Firestone tire he had on the car and pointing to how the sidewall was bubbling out. "What a piece of crap!"

In riding with him in the car chasing Kopec in 6s118w ("w" for white wheels) up 684, he apologized we could only do 115 since one of the sets of points was not working right.

He's kind of a legend actually.

His uncle had a deli in Yonkers. Landi's. His other uncle had a bakery across the street. He made this 24" long by 2" diameter Italian bread.

For a buck, you could get an "Italian Combo WEDGE" (they coined the term here) that you couldn't finish or even fit in your mouth.

Every Senior high schooler in Yonkers went there for lunch.

I'm very sad at his passing but thankful that I had the privilege of knowing him and calling him a friend.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 06:58:08 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 06:04:45 PM »
What a loss. Bob was one of those characters that you never forget. He was a true friend who would give you the shirt off of his back. The first hot laps I experienced at were in his car. When we got back in the pits, he threw me the keys.
Can't believe he is gone.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 06:23:13 PM »
He was great fun to be around. The first time I saw Bob drive was at Lime Rock. I think he set a distance record for getting the furthest off Big Bend. I don't think he ever lifted and rejoined the track midway through the esses.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 09:44:06 PM »
Bob was a good soul, always there to make you laugh, always there with another story of his exploits. We crossed paths here and there while I lived in the NE, usually at a SAAC or Shelby related event, once or twice at Bear Mt......Think a few times at June and Rudy B's as well.

Here is hoping he is bouncing off the rev limiter while driving his Shelby in the sky.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 03:15:41 AM »
I had never met him but I love the guy from the above comments and stories. Wonderful sounding human. Thank you for sharing and RIP sir.

HERTZ II

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 09:33:55 PM »
  Nearly everyone who spent time around Bob comes away with a story, forever etched in their minds. My story involves one of those events referred to above by 66 Hertz, "he put EVERY ONE of his race cars on its roof at Lime Rock..." I'm not sure he actually raced this particular car but it definitely checks the "on it's roof" box.
  It was back in the early 90s, a year or so after I purchased my Shelby. I was itching to try my hand at track action so Bob invited me to an open track day at Lime Rock and offered to be my instructor. To make sure I would get the most enjoyment from my first time on a race track, he insisted my first outing that day should be riding with him in his car (Mustang SVO) to get a feel for the track and see the correct line. Near the end of the initial warm up lap, as we passed under the bridge approaching the final corner before the front straight and green flag, Bob had already slowed enough to allow the cars in front to pull away. As we came down the slight downhill and entered the righthander, he put the pedal to the floor. He would later admit he was off line. (It should be noted here that the phrase "never lift" was not in Bob's vocabulary. It's defined as keeping one's foot firmly planted on the accelerator pedal with complete disregard to the possible outcome. It can often end with catastrophic results, but with proper execution has been known to create legends.) Clearly, we did NOT create legends that day.
  We exited the corner with both left side wheels off the pavement. With Bob's philosophy of "never lift" at play, he attempted to get all 4 wheels back on the pavement. What happened next is a combination of my sensations (my eyes were closed) and what spectators saw. The car swerved violently to the right, did a couple 360s, went off the pavement to the infield side sliding and spinning on the grass and then hit the tire retaining wall trunk first....estimated at 50-ish MPH. The impact with the tire wall propelled the car into the air. While in the air, it turned over and crashed to the ground squarely on it's roof, crushing the roof nearly to the doors. Thankfully, neither Bob nor I received serious injuries. Both seats broke on impact with the tire wall so we were in a  horizontal position as the car came down on the roof. We were both conscious and heard the thunder of feet on the ground as many folks were running to lend assistance. Later in the day we joked about hearing comments, as folks reached the car, like "look and see if they're ok".."no, you look".."no, I don't want to,you look"..No, you". Moments later the EMTs and track staff were there prying the doors open and gently pulling us free. We were checked out at the Infield Care Center and aside from a few scratches and assorted bruises, we were fine. The car..not so much. Need less to say, that was the end of our track activities for that day. And as testimony to Bob's abilities, he totally restored that car.       

6s341

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 10:54:48 PM »
I never met Bob, but wish I had.  Always enjoyed his tech articles in Mustang Monthly.  RIP.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 03:30:29 PM »
Our sincerest and deepest condolences to all family and friends
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 09:28:23 PM »
I do remember a comment to the emt s at lime rock after flipping one of the cars " your heart rate is isnt even up ?" ...................................                                                             Bob "  i do this all the time its no big deal"

Bob and i met about 40 years ago  there was never a dull moment  on or off the race track with him around .
 who else   would roll the car at lime rock and jack the roof back up in the parking lot so he could drive it home .

Will be missed
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Dennis Y

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 12:39:44 PM »
I still have pictures from the Great Gorge convention where we went to Island Dragway and somehow I always ended up matched up with him no matter which line I chose. Definetley a character in the best sense.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 06:47:33 PM »
I still have pictures from the Great Gorge convention where we went to Island Dragway and somehow I always ended up matched up with him no matter which line I chose. Definetley a character in the best sense.

It wasn't just you...he raced everyone there.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!