News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Firewall Clip on my 1969 Shelby ... is it Factory?

Started by mach1dave, February 19, 2023, 06:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mach1dave

I have a weird shaped clip on my Firewall that I'm not sure belongs. its attached to a factory stud holding the Reverse light harness. Before i reinstall it does it belong here and to my car?  picture was when i disassembled it and now .  Thanks for your help!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mach1dave on February 19, 2023, 06:44:42 PM
  I have a weird shaped clip on my Firewall that I'm not sure belongs. its attached to a factory stud holding the Reverse light harness. Before i reinstall it does it belong here and to my car?  picture was when i disassembled it and now .  Thanks for your help!
The bottom picture clip was not used to hold the reverse light harness. I believe there is an illustration in the 69 assembly electrical manual . If you don't have a set it would be advantageous for you to get some. The major Mustang parts vendors carry them .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mach1dave

Thanks Bob , its weird it was on there when i got the car and it was really unmolested.

Special Ed

i have seen both clips used on a 69 shelby 4-speed the bottom  photo metal rubber coated was used up on cowl between the 2 shock tower braces to hold up wire.

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

J_Speegle

Could have been used elsewhere (the clip) and simply reattached there by the owner or shop so it would not get lost though they didn't know where it had dropped from. I've seen a fair number of 69-70's with the clip positioned between the two shock tower supports at the cowl to firewall pinch weld as shown in the picture below of a number of unrestored examples. Have more in my collection

Just a possibility IMHO

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 19, 2023, 07:08:23 PM
The bottom picture clip was not used to hold the reverse light harness. I believe there is an illustration in the 69 assembly electrical manual . If you don't have a set it would be advantageous for you to get some. The major Mustang parts vendors carry them .
I should have been more clear in that I was trying to relay that I have not seen the clip in the bottom picture used on the firewall. The dead nuts on picture is what is typically seen on the firewall.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

I see that clip on the lower sometimes if automatic, 4 spds have the loop clip like the one in Jacks pic

Special Ed

Jacks photo is from a 69 boss 429 in my barn i bought from OO 35 years ago so other cars from other  assembly plants maybe a little different depending on the drivetrain and options.

Bob Gaines

The metal wire clip must have been one of the universal  "use as needed" things that show up on some Dearborn cars given they are not used on every single example of a given application and don't show up in the assemblyline manuals. I also have seen that metal clip used randomly to hold the sealing strip on top of the radiator support apparently when the staple gun was out of commission which supports its all purpose use.