Author Topic: 1967 GT500 Air Cleaner on Ebay with wrong description  (Read 937 times)

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1967 GT500 Air Cleaner on Ebay with wrong description
« on: February 20, 2023, 03:01:28 AM »

This one is not an original part like claimed.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/266092334276

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Re: 1967 GT500 Air Cleaner on Ebay with wrong description
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 10:05:54 PM »
What is wrong with it? Looks correct to me.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 10:36:28 PM »
What is wrong with it? Looks correct to me.

Roy
Because it is a repro sand cast lid with incorrect Cobra letters.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 11:16:06 PM »
Hi Bob,

Please help us out.  On originals, are the "COBRA" letters the same from sand cast to die cast?  Attached is a comparison image between the eBay lid and a die cast lid from the NVSAAC site describing an original.  The letters looks the same to me.  What am I missing?  The NVSAAC author describes the 1967 version as the "O" is wider than it is tall & the "R" has a curved foot.  The eBay lid seams to have these features.  The NVSAAC die cast lid has the rectangular casting impression around the Cobra lettering.  Is this also true for the sand cast?  The eBay lid does not appear to have this feature.

The NVSAAC author goes on to describe the repop lids with the "O" equal width & height & the "R" foot straight.  The eBay lid does not have these features.  The author says "But, I have also seen repop lids with the lettering as original but showing a sand cast finish on underside.   This sounds like the eBay lid.  Aren't the early COBRA oval air cleanse sand cast and should show a sand cast finish?

Can you please provide some images showing the differences so we can learn?  With your clarification, we will all be smarter.

Thanks

Cory
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:20:54 PM by 6s1640 »

TA Coupe

• View Profile
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 06:43:32 AM »
Hi Bob,

Please help us out.  On originals, are the "COBRA" letters the same from sand cast to die cast?  Attached is a comparison image between the eBay lid and a die cast lid from the NVSAAC site describing an original.  The letters looks the same to me.  What am I missing?  The NVSAAC author describes the 1967 version as the "O" is wider than it is tall & the "R" has a curved foot.  The eBay lid seams to have these features.  The NVSAAC die cast lid has the rectangular casting impression around the Cobra lettering.  Is this also true for the sand cast?  The eBay lid does not appear to have this feature.

The NVSAAC author goes on to describe the repop lids with the "O" equal width & height & the "R" foot straight.  The eBay lid does not have these features.  The author says "But, I have also seen repop lids with the lettering as original but showing a sand cast finish on underside.   This sounds like the eBay lid.  Aren't the early COBRA oval air cleanse sand cast and should show a sand cast finish?

Can you please provide some images showing the differences so we can learn?  With your clarification, we will all be smarter.

Thanks

Cory

To me, the COBRA Letters on the Ebay Lid look just a bit larger and the Triangle in the "A" looks sharper in the Die Cast (top) Lid.......
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 08:47:03 AM by tesgt350 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 09:19:51 AM »
Hi Bob,

Thanks

Cory
Cory,the back side does not have any injection mold marks indicating it is sand cast . The curve leg R was used on die cast lids not sand cast lids.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby