News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Carroll Shelby’s final Mustang

Started by 5s386, February 22, 2023, 08:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Hudidad

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

My first guess is that it is one of a number of cars purchased by a second party and in collaboration with CS put in his name for the sole purpose of profit resale IMO.There are many that already know the story.  If it is then it may the last car done that way but that last car fact is more of a embarrassment then cool history IMO. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Hudidad

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 23, 2023, 04:27:42 PM
My first guess is that it is one of a number of cars purchased by a second party and in collaboration with CS put in his name for the sole purpose of profit resale IMO.There are many that already know the story.  If it is then it may the last car done that way but that last car fact is more of a embarrassment then cool history IMO.

Really respect your history and voice so looking to better understand.  Are you saying it's not a real GT350?

Coralsnake

I dont think there is any indication the car is not an authentic Shelby.

The questions are regarding Carroll Shelby's ownership. As Mr Gaines stated Shelby was involved with people that purchased and retitled cars in his name. Often times this was done for a fee or an in kind contribution to a Shelby charity.

In this case, I think this specific car was donated by the Shelby charity in 2011, who gave it to the college. Not really purchased new by Shelby (as it is usually implied)

There are literally dozens of cars that claim history and Carroll Shelby "ownership" .

A quick google search will confirm that

Coralsnake

Before restoration, not exactly something old Shelby would have been driving around in his later years...

Hudidad

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 23, 2023, 06:12:01 PM
Before restoration, not exactly something old Shelby would have been driving around in his later years...

Yeah agreed for sure.  I understood from the video Carroll "purchased himself" the car and "then gave to the school".  Since they're not selling it and it's on display in a museum not sure what the benefit would be to make up stories, but what do I know.

Coralsnake

I cant say what their motivations are.

Reminds of another 1968 described as "built for Carroll's wife".

Then the advertising for the car at a dealership turned up. Kind of dismantled that story quickly...