News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Shelby tach

Started by Coralsnake, March 01, 2023, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

correct me if I am wrong but that is a reproduction isn't?  I thought all the originals had the "cricket paddle" shaped white needle?

Bill Collins

Ford sold this style tach as an over the counter accessory and service replacement. The chrome cup and triangular mounting base identify it as such. These tachs have the pointer style needle. Since it was produced by Faria, who also made the "cricket bat" needle version, I would not classify this as a "reproduction", but it is arguably not assembly line correct.

I have Hertz car off lease return paperwork and the cars were often missing their original tachs. They were reconditioned with service tachs, so there are examples out there that had this style when sold out of the Hertz lease program, suggesting they are original production. Faria stamped a month/year production date onto the back of their units, so removing the cup should reveal its production provenance.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

Bob Gaines

The chrome case units were service replacements .Many of those had the cricket paddle needle too.  That type would be the most plausible to be used as a replacement IMO. The tach face evolved to the different pointer as has been discussed. Having some kind of documentation for a given car would go along way convincing someone of the much later service replacement on that specific car . I don't think it is appropriate to give a pass to everyone using the later service tach's because it diminishes the extra time ,effort and $ to those that have a legit assemblyline tach for their 66 GT350 H or non H.  Just me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby