Author Topic: Cobra Jet snake valve covers  (Read 1091 times)

rdmgt500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Cobra Jet snake valve covers
« on: March 02, 2023, 10:35:02 AM »
I've seen a few 69-70 GT500's with "428 Cobra Jet" lettering on the valve covers. Did these come from the factory or where they after-market?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra Jet snake valve covers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 12:01:44 PM »
I've seen a few 69-70 GT500's with "428 Cobra Jet" lettering on the valve covers. Did these come from the factory or where they after-market?
Some earlier 69 GT500's did most others didn't. My first experience with a Shelby was in 1969 when a family member bought a 69 GT500 . It had the snake covers . I thought that they all came that way until I started seeing other 69 Shelby's that didn't. Urban legend claimed that only super CJ's got them . That is not true. I have seen them on both . A friend ED Meyer has the most logical explanation in that every year Shelby 65,66,67 and 68 had special valve covers compared to regular Mustang's .The snake covers were meant to be that special Shelby valve cover for 1969 GT 500's . Early CJ's Mustangs had chrome valve covers so possibly when the finned aluminum valve covers started to be used the snake covers were seen as so close and what with costs it made the most sense moneywise to use the one finned style for all. A funny story is in mid 1970 I ordered a set of valve covers for my Mach I and when they came the snake covers where in the box. The part number ordered was for the typical finned covers my Ford parts dept guru Earl Blosser RIP told me . Ford had put the remaining snake covers in the Ford service parts system.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 12:07:41 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Vcode

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 12:12:06 PM »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 02:46:40 PM »
Here some info
https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-valvecover
The info in the link has a few issues to be aware of.  First although Ed's premise is by far the most logical I have heard to date it is still speculation unlike how it is implied in the writing.  I am not aware of a Ford document that indicates what went on as it applies to the valve covers. I would be very interested in reading if someone has found something from the period.  Second ,Ford basically took over operations from Shelby in 1968 so when the valve covers were designed in 1968 the decision to use or not use had nothing to do with Fords control because it had already taken place. Also something not covered is that the valve cover is verified to have been used on some 69 GT500's so apparently the decision to cease use of the snake valve covers was decided after 69 production had already started. It most likely ended when the aluminum covers that were to be used on all CJ engines began being used in production sometime in Feb 1969.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 09:37:12 PM »
Some earlier 69 GT500's did most others didn't. My first experience with a Shelby was in 1969 when a family member bought a 69 GT500 . It had the snake covers . I thought that they all came that way until I started seeing other 69 Shelby's that didn't. Urban legend claimed that only super CJ's got them . That is not true. I have seen them on both . A friend ED Meyer has the most logical explanation in that every year Shelby 65,66,67 and 68 had special valve covers compared to regular Mustang's .The snake covers were meant to be that special Shelby valve cover for 1969 GT 500's . Early CJ's Mustangs had chrome valve covers so possibly when the finned aluminum valve covers started to be used the snake covers were seen as so close and what with costs it made the most sense moneywise to use the one finned style for all. A funny story is in mid 1970 I ordered a set of valve covers for my Mach I and when they came the snake covers where in the box. The part number ordered was for the typical finned covers my Ford parts dept guru Earl Blosser RIP told me . Ford had put the remaining snake covers in the Ford service parts system.   

I learn new things here all the time, I always thought the snake valve covers were aftermarket. Thanks for the info Bob!
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 10:00:38 PM »
Allot of the snake valve covers have been swapped and added to cars over the years. I've never looked into what cars had them originally to try and find a change over point if there was one. For anyone chasing the possible answer and to go along with the early car idea car #218 had them originally and had them in the late 70's early 80s when I owned it.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 12:26:52 AM »
Allot of the snake valve covers have been swapped and added to cars over the years. I've never looked into what cars had them originally to try and find a change over point if there was one. For anyone chasing the possible answer and to go along with the early car idea car #218 had them originally and had them in the late 70's early 80s when I owned it.

I never thought they could be real because the cobra looks like it's missing a chromosome.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 09:49:14 AM »
All 65-68 shelbys had unique aluminum valve covers with cobra lettering cast into them so it only makes sence that the new 69 shelby would have cobra lettering valve covers and that they would call out 428 cobra jet on the new covers since that was fords new  great faster 428 performance engine not a PI cop motor previously used. I think the 428 cobra jet  snake covers were being designed in spring 68 or so after the  new cj  motors started going in 68s late in the 68 production. The snake covers i seen all had mid 68 date castings on them not 69 dates and the snake covers are on the 69 shelby gt500 early test and prototype photos being installed. Ford started taking over the 69 shelby program in fall of 68 after they came out with the new r-code shaker mach 1s so i think ford wanted there own aluminum valve covers to match the raised rib  design on top of shaker so they designed the full ribbed design  aluminum valve cover that is a great match to the shaker ribs design and to replace the 68 type chrome  cj valve covers that only look good on q-code cjs that had chrome air cleaner lids. In feb  march 69 ford may have used up all snake covers and started with the  new ford version of full ribbed aluminm covers because i have never seen any snake covers with anything but mid 68 dated castings. There is a  68 muscle parts photo with the snake covers saying fords new 428 scj valve covers and thats why people think they were scj only but they were on early 69 cj and scj shelbys.