News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

69 GT500 junction block

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, August 30, 2023, 03:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I am NOT an electrical guy and I need some help.  First, can someone post a picture of an installed and wired junction block for me. Second, my guy informed me that he needs a fused link wire that attaches to the junction block on my car. If so, where do I obtain the correct gauge, color and design for my application?

J_Speegle

We burnt up the fuseable link in one of the alloy Metal reproduction wire looms. It was part of the wire loom and about the last 4-6" of the loom. Don't know that they are sold separately (believe they are not) but we were able to get one and replace the other and rewrap the loom to hide the repair

Here are some pictures. Already posted them on another site so had them uploaded already.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on August 30, 2023, 03:50:31 PM
I am NOT an electrical guy and I need some help.  First, can someone post a picture of an installed and wired junction block for me. Second, my guy informed me that he needs a fused link wire that attaches to the junction block on my car. If so, where do I obtain the correct gauge, color and design for my application?
What harness ? Convertible top power?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Thanks Jeff. So the fuse-able link is part of the main harness loom?  I got my harnesses from Alloy Metal but don't remember seeing the fuse-able there.

J_Speegle

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on August 31, 2023, 08:57:21 AM
Thanks Jeff. So the fuse-able link is part of the main harness loom?  I got my harnesses from Alloy Metal but don't remember seeing the fuse-able there.

If I recall correctly its just part of the loom, not even a lump like some of them have
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

Convertibles have separate fusible link, fastbacks no

J_Speegle

Quote from: TLea on August 31, 2023, 04:51:58 PM
Convertibles have separate fusible link, fastbacks no

Yes depending on which type of Shelby - one or two fusible links. Guess we should have asked which he was looking for before this point

Bob Gaines

I don't recall a fusible link other then the one for the convertible top power. You had me second guessing myself so I went off the wiring schematics in the 69/70 Shelby shop manual supplement . I couldn't find a fusible link in any of the schematics. If I missed it can you point it out.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Here is the illustration from the factory manuals for the convertible top harness with its fusible link marked in the schematic. Unless I overlooked it I could not find another marked "fuse link" on any of the other factory or Shelby harness's.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 31, 2023, 05:12:04 PM
I don't recall a fusible link other then the one for the convertible top power. You had me second guessing myself so I went off the wiring schematics in the 69/70 Shelby shop manual supplement . I couldn't find a fusible link in any of the schematics. If I missed it can you point it out.

For the other main loom I was going off the fact that at least the reproduction loom (Alloy) has one and that the poster may have burned his up on his Alloy loom which based on private conversations he apparently did.

Will try and find some time to look through the factory wire diagram book to see if its identified on the factory loom in that document

TLea

Maybe you're talking about the resistor wire?

J_Speegle

Quote from: TLea on August 31, 2023, 05:45:51 PM

Alloy referred to the section we burnt up and they sent us as a fusable link from my recall. Not sure why there would be a resistor wire built in at the end of the loom in the area shown in the pictures I posted earlier.  Don't understand being placed there why they would have wanted to not want full voltage but not an electrical engineer by a long shot

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 31, 2023, 05:49:00 PM
Quote from: TLea on August 31, 2023, 05:45:51 PM

Alloy referred to the section we burnt up and they sent us as a fusable link from my recall. Not sure why there would be a resistor wire built in at the end of the loom in the area shown in the pictures I posted earlier.  Don't understand being placed there why they would have wanted to not want full voltage but not an electrical engineer by a long shot
I am not sure why there would be a fusible link at the end of the loom in the area shown ether. All of the circuits on the headlight harness ether run through the fuse box or are on various breakers. The convertible top wire harness does not get its power through the fuse box or a breaker which is why it uses the fusible link for that application.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 31, 2023, 06:21:46 PM
I am not sure why there would be a fusible link at the end of the loom in the area shown ether. All of the circuits on the headlight harness ether run through the fuse box or are on various breakers. The convertible top wire harness does not get its power through the fuse box or a breaker which is why it uses the fusible link for that application.

For this example would have to ask Alloy. Made allot of smoke (as expected) is just a second to two ::) and there was a junction between that section of wire and the rest of the loom. It saved out b**s from having to replace the whole loom