News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Data Plate Paint Removal

Started by msper, March 02, 2023, 01:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlite65

if you use thinner you will lose the original black. you will have a clean plate though.

OldGuy

You might try some Dot 3 brake fluid. Do what Jeff suggested and use a test piece. Try wetting the test piece but not soaking it. Don't expose the test piece for long before you wipe it free of brake fluid. It might remove the paint in layers which will allow you to control how much you remove per application. Be sure to neutralize the brake fluid by soaking it in water after you are finished. Then rinse it in alcohol.

We all know how brake fluid removes paint when we don't want it to, Maybe it will work in our favor for once.

Frank

Karguy

Great idea starting with one of the screws for experimentation. I'm not sure if you plan to remove the plate from the door or not but the rivets would be a similar substrate as the tag, they might work well to experiment on. I like jeff's recommendation of enamel reducer, it can be very mild. You might even experiment with fingernail polish remover on a small spot. You can always work up to the really strong solvents like lacquer thinner if necessary. It is nice that you have the original tag in place in spite of the paint. Good luck.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Prototype

finger nail polish might work as noted above.

Shawn

I used citrus paint remover on my 66 tag turned out perfectly.  No scrubbing just paper towel to remove so no scratches.

msper

Quote from: Shawn on August 27, 2023, 08:15:13 PM
I used citrus paint remover on my 66 tag turned out perfectly.  No scrubbing just paper towel to remove so no scratches.

How long did you leave it on?....it did not remove any of the original screen printing on the tag?.....do you know the brand you used?......Thanks!

Shawn

Citristrip and it did not remove any of the black from the original tag

Shawn

before and after pictures using Citristrip

68blk500c

Nice!!   Have used it on other problems; good to know.