Author Topic: Data Plate Paint Removal  (Read 3311 times)

msper

• View Profile
Data Plate Paint Removal
« on: March 02, 2023, 01:05:38 PM »
Hi

Is there a way to remove paint (from previous repaints) from a data plate without disturbing the original screen printing on the plate? Any direction or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Data Plate Paint Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 03:14:27 PM »
What kind of paint is on the plate?  If you happen to know as it can make a difference to what may/will work to remove it
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

msper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 03:25:03 PM »
What kind of paint is on the plate?  If you happen to know as it can make a difference to what may/will work to remove it

I think it is enamel...It was probably painted in the late 60s......is there a way to tell what it is?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 03:28:24 PM »
I think it is enamel...It was probably painted in the late 60s......is there a way to tell what it is?

Yes but there are really little space for a test are on the surface of the VIN tag. Just trying to be safe. Another thought. Is this a heavy/thick coat or thin overspray? Is it chipping?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

msper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 03:34:20 PM »

Yes but there are really little space for a test are on the surface of the VIN tag. Just trying to be safe. Another thought. Is this a heavy/thick coat or thin overspray? Is it chipping?

I will send you a picture in a PM.....Thanks!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 04:20:31 PM »
Here is what msper is working with

My first suggestion, working from the safer products to later maybe harsher methods, would be to get some enamel reducer if you can still purchase it where you live, remove the door latch screw and soak it in a bath of the reducer to see if it will lift the layer. Keep track of how long you soak it, checking in as it soaks, and see if that will work. If so then you can try and address the door data plate

Others may have other or better methods that have been successful with

msper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 04:39:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

How long would you think it should soak?......what about putting it on a rag and lightly rub it?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 04:47:57 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

How long would you think it should soak?......what about putting it on a rag and lightly rub it?

Have no idea of how long it will take nor how thick the paint coat is. I've used the product, along with the weaker grease and tar remover, using the wet rag method successfully to remove over spray but will take more time to do this larger and likely thicker application.

msper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 05:18:55 PM »
Thanks Jeff.....I will give it a shot.....I will report back on the results.......

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 06:53:08 PM »
Way in the past (80s), I had some thin gel paint remover in a spray bottle to do a whole car.  Lightly sprayed some on the door plate and let it sit until it wrinkled up and lifted and dried.  It wiped off without bothering the factory silk screen printing at all.  Probably lucky.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 07:38:57 PM »

If it was painted in the late 60's most likely it is lacquer. That is what a lot of shops were using because it dried quicker then the enamels used at the time.  Lacquer paints are known to soften and chip off over a period of time compared to enamel paints which remain sturdy for a longer time. If that is the case it should give you a advantage when trying to remove.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 08:09:00 PM »
Maybe oven cleaner, like used to remove paint from fiberglass fastback interior panels?
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 08:26:10 PM »
If it were chipping and if you could get under the layer the plastic razors might help also but that does not look the case in this example. Might help others though

msper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 08:43:23 PM »
I guess what I am going to do is work with the paint on the screw and on the door itself and see what happens before I ever touch the tag.

alex74pd184

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2023, 10:21:43 PM »
I'm going try cleaning mine in a pot of boiling water. If it doesn't work, I'll try soaking the data plate in lacquer thinner.