Author Topic: 69 grill repair  (Read 980 times)

69 grill repair
« on: March 02, 2023, 03:27:27 PM »
Has anyone repaired the wire mesh screen on a 69 grill.  I just discovered that there are two breaks in the screen and would love a repair technique vs. getting a replacement $300.00, grill
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 03:43:42 PM by kasearch@ix.netcom.com »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 69 grill repair
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 04:56:30 PM »
Well have tried to repair the rear trunk and end cap grills which are similar but have not tried the same on the front grill on a 69. For the rear I used donor material to cut out an exact fit repair and glue it in place. It can be time consuming and has to be examined from all angles before the adhesive sets up. Had a number of tries where the repair was invisible from three angles but stood out from the fourth angle. Also have to be careful about the amount of adhesive used since any additional will highlight the repair.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 07:48:22 PM »
Has anyone repaired the wire mesh screen on a 69 grill.  I just discovered that there are two breaks in the screen and would love a repair technique vs. getting a replacement $300.00, grill
  The repros that I have seen were not the identical grill mesh ether. The mesh was a slightly different size and design. Maybe a donor portion from the bottom folded side and I would try to solder it. Solder would allow you to file away excess and still maintain structural integrity. Just a thought.  I have not tried this method but have a solder gun which feeds a thin solder wire to the tip for intricate work. That gave me the idea.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 08:16:27 AM »
Thanks guys. I will definitely approach from that angle. I may be able to save the grill

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 09:47:15 AM »
Does anyone have a grill off the car that they could post a full length picture?  My grill appears to have some small "notches" cut out along the bottom, and I want to see if this is correct.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 11:51:13 AM »
Well have tried to repair the rear trunk and end cap grills which are similar but have not tried the same on the front grill on a 69. For the rear I used donor material to cut out an exact fit repair and glue it in place. It can be time consuming and has to be examined from all angles before the adhesive sets up. Had a number of tries where the repair was invisible from three angles but stood out from the fourth angle. Also have to be careful about the amount of adhesive used since any additional will highlight the repair.
I have original FB and Vert 3 piece Trunk lid/end cap mesh with the trim. Can those be restored? My mesh is in good shape but the trim part needs redone.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 03:30:23 PM »
I have original FB and Vert 3 piece Trunk lid/end cap mesh with the trim. Can those be restored? My mesh is in good shape but the trim part needs redone.

For the mesh I don't see why not. Stripping, treating (if there is some condition needing attention and repainting should not be an issue. After you check for condition. The trim may have oxidation or other issues where it would require other processes to return or require replacement since oxidation can ruin the metal. Just depends on condition
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 05:05:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 05:00:10 PM »
I have not found a way to recondition the surrounding trim once it has oxidized. The original mesh is typically different (up and down panel openings in mesh)compared to what is available on the repro market .However the repro can be a excellent is donor for the trim needed to replaced the oxidized trim on a original set.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby