Author Topic: 1965 Cragar wheels Original vs repro?  (Read 2088 times)

SFM5S159

• View Profile
1965 Cragar wheels Original vs repro?
« on: March 02, 2023, 04:25:25 PM »
Hey all,

Considering a purchase of an original set of '65 Cragar wheels vs. a repro set. 
The original wheels will need to be restored, replated at the least, maybe re-rimmed. 
Once a set of original wheels is restored, are they indistinguishable from a new set?

If the repro's are made with original tooling, are they not going to be identical to a restored set?  I'm assuming a restored set has the rims removed, plated and then welded back on...

To me a part is only original once, when its "restored" it isn't truly original.  Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but that's my point of view.

Thanks.

Mike C 
'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1965 Cragar wheels Original vs repro?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 07:32:38 PM »
Hey all,

Considering a purchase of an original set of '65 Cragar wheels vs. a repro set. 
The original wheels will need to be restored, replated at the least, maybe re-rimmed. 
Once a set of original wheels is restored, are they indistinguishable from a new set?

If the repro's are made with original tooling, are they not going to be identical to a restored set?  I'm assuming a restored set has the rims removed, plated and then welded back on...

To me a part is only original once, when its "restored" it isn't truly original.  Maybe it's a matter of semantics, but that's my point of view.

Thanks.

Mike C
It depends on who restores the wheels. Craig Conley for instance puts modern DOT approve rims with the required safety bead .I can understand why.  He has done it that way for decades for liability reasons. The DOT rim is slightly different in shape. The required DOT stamping is on the back side of the rim . The genuine rim has different wording on no DOT approval marking. The repro centers are identical however. In that scenario the restored original wheel looks the same as the repro wheel. If you want it to look identical you will have to find someone that will cut the wheel apart and rechrome the original rims. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 10:50:34 PM »
The main visual differences between an original, and original restored, and a repro (from Craig) are as follows:

1. This picture shows an unrestored original Cragar (the back side). Note two things: A) there is very little to no visible weld (circled in red). B) The open slots on ether side of the spoke / weld

2. This picture shows a restored original wheel. Note the following: A) the weld / safety bead is visible. B) the open slots on either side of the spoke near the weld (circled in red). The open slots are only found on original Cragars, regardless of being or not being restored.

3. Repro Cragar (from Craig). Note the following: A) the weld / safety bead is visible. B) the slots are filled on either side of the spokes.

I hope this helps!
Nothing beats a classic!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 03:44:55 AM »
Way back in the early days of the Shelby Club, there were article(s) how to fix those crusty old Cragars.  Many of these wheels lost their lust early on and nobody was restoring them back in the day.  The trick was to install "Trim Rings".  I'm uncertain which make and model trim ring was recommended, but they did dress up the wheel considerable.  Does any one remember the trim ring make and model?  Was the news letter the "Shelby Owners Association" or the "Marque"?

While visiting John Atzbach's collection, now several years ago, he actually had a 65 GT350 in his collection that had the trim rings.  The trim rings fit so well, nobody had noticed them until I pointed it out.  I remember reading about the trick and there it was in fact on a car.  It was not just a story.

I'm not suggesting you do the same, but sharing some history on these wheels.  Somewhere I have a picture of the car.  Maybe someone here knows which SAI VIN it was.

Best of luck.

Cory

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:55:07 AM by 6s1640 »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 08:35:14 AM »
Holy crap Cory - that is brilliant!!

I wonder if that would work on my slightly crusty set of XR7-G Raders?

Thanks for posting that tip!

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 09:06:42 AM »
The main visual differences between an original, and original restored, and a repro (from Craig) are as follows:

1. This picture shows an unrestored original Cragar (the back side). Note two things: A) there is very little to no visible weld (circled in red). B) The open slots on ether side of the spoke / weld

2. This picture shows a restored original wheel. Note the following: A) the weld / safety bead is visible. B) the open slots on either side of the spoke near the weld (circled in red). The open slots are only found on original Cragars, regardless of being or not being restored.

3. Repro Cragar (from Craig). Note the following: A) the weld / safety bead is visible. B) the slots are filled on either side of the spokes.

I hope this helps!

WOW, for Safety reasons, I would rather have Wheels 2 or 3 on my Car plus, it looks like they would be Safer for Track Use as well.

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 09:13:08 AM »
A company in Colorado Springs, CO restored my original Cragar wheels by separating the rims from the center, re-chroming them
and welding them back together. This was done about 15 years ago. The company was closed some years ago.
Texas Swede

sfm5

• SAAC Member
  • Great White North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 10:45:51 AM »
What are the implications of using original vs DOT compliant wheels? Is there some known & real safety issue?

I have a set of original wheels that I want to restore, and my mindset is to keep parts as original as possible. I am in Canada so DOT regulations likely don't apply here, but if original wheels are "unsafe" to use then it would change my plan.

I have asked knowledgeable Shelby "experts" about this and have not had anyone provide an answer.
65 GT350

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 10:52:23 AM »
What are the implications of using original vs DOT compliant wheels? Is there some known & real safety issue?

I have a set of original wheels that I want to restore, and my mindset is to keep parts as original as possible. I am in Canada so DOT regulations likely don't apply here, but if original wheels are "unsafe" to use then it would change my plan.

I have asked knowledgeable Shelby "experts" about this and have not had anyone provide an answer.

Great question. I’ve done some research as well with the experts, and here’s my understanding:

- Unrestored Cragars (barring something unforeseen) are perfectly safe to be run unrestored
- Restored original Cragars are great for judging that requires all original (restored or unrestored) parts

I believe the DOT piece comes into play with restored Cragars, as Craig has to “disassemble” them for restoration, which requires additional scrutiny.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »

Craig Conley for instance puts modern DOT approve rims with the required safety bead.  He has done it that way for decades for liability reasons.

Yes, it's all about the fear of the  P.I. Attorneys!   ::)

Scott.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 01:39:42 PM by pbf777 »

rcbarnard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 01:50:57 PM »
So i have a set of that appear to have the original welds, and are stamped by Dearborn stamping. I've read that Shelby was affiliated with them. Do the Cragar's have that same marking or do they say Cragar.. Everything else matches with the Shelby part number etc.

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 03:09:31 PM »
I have a a set of Deaborn press & forging co  too , they are early repro .