News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Air Cleaner Lid Identification

Started by brandosaac, March 02, 2023, 09:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandosaac

Im not sure if I asked this or not over the last 2 years?

But trying to identify this air cleaner lid.
I was told it was possibly an early 67 shelby 2x4 that someone painted black krinkle and drilled a center hole.
All 67 oval air cleaners were plain finish correct ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: brandosaac on March 02, 2023, 09:36:33 PM
Im not sure if I asked this or not over the last 2 years?

But trying to identify this air cleaner lid.
I was told it was possibly an early 67 shelby 2x4 that someone painted black krinkle and drilled a center hole.
All 67 oval air cleaners were plain finish correct ?
As far as the paint is concerned you got it backwards. Only the earliest 67 GT500 air cleaner lids were bare aluminum. Some of the sand cast straight leg "R" lids transitioned to black wrinkle painted before being phased out. All of the curved leg "R" die cast lids that were used to the end of production were black wrinkle painted . It looks like a original sand cast lid with a hole drilled in it.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Unfortunately I have not seen a die cast or sand cast lid with the center hole repaired yet that you could not tell that it had been repaired. The material used to make the repair is apparently different enough to show a contrast with the surrounding material.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby