Author Topic: Shelby Vin  (Read 3265 times)

Plajoie

• View Profile
Shelby Vin
« on: March 04, 2023, 08:47:31 AM »
My original Shelby VIN plate is missing does anyone know where I can have one made up?  Tony Branda has the plates but will not stamp them.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Vin
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 03:02:15 PM »
My original Shelby VIN plate is missing does anyone know where I can have one made up?  Tony Branda has the plates but will not stamp them.

The are not reproduced, all the fake tags are about the same in quality so buy the one you want and hand stamp it.

“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 12:22:48 AM »
At least be sure to get one that says "shelby american" with a "n" on the end, not "shelby america".

Cory
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 12:57:36 AM by 6s1640 »

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 12:34:55 AM »
At least be sure to get one that says "Shelby American" with a "n" on the end, not "Shelby America".

Cory
+1
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

PR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 11:23:24 AM »
A few years ago I had to have one made, I forgot the company but found them in vin plate restoration  search on the web, they have the correct plates and stamp with correct size and font as original,but require proof of ownership, I sent a picture of current registration, it came looked great looked exactly like the one on my other Shelby, the only thing it looked brand new compared to the patina on my other car, good luck, Pete

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 01:18:38 PM »
 AG Back East..
Not sure if they're around anymore
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:04:33 AM by capecodmustang.com »

Plajoie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 03:21:20 PM »
Thank you for the information I'll post if I find a company.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 01:35:27 PM »
At least be sure to get one that says "Shelby American" with a "n" on the end, not "Shelby America".

Cory
+1

+2
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Plajoie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 06:52:21 PM »
Gave up on the search.  Found one company that was high and no guarantee that it will look like the original.  Went the hand stamp route but do not like the way it came out.  Thank everyone for the suggestions.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 08:55:53 PM »
In order to get it even and looking right you'll need a holder. https://www.pannier.com/stamping/type-holders/
You'll also want stamps that have been ground so they line up in the holder
There are also machines that will stamp them - I suspect this is what was used by SA or whoever supplied their tags. I have one but the font is too small if I remember. https://www.metaltags.com/stamping-equipment.htm
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 11:29:12 AM »
In order to get it even and looking right you'll need a holder. https://www.pannier.com/stamping/type-holders/
There are also machines that will stamp them - I suspect this is what was used by SA or whoever supplied their tags. I have one but the font is too small if I remember. https://www.metaltags.com/stamping-equipment.htm

I used to work for a company that overhauled components for aircraft and we had a similar stamping machine that was a World War Two surplus machine. By chance I noticed that machine had the exact same font and size as the Shelby VIN tags, I thought, Wow how convenient that would be to have. Then I thought, hmmm, why.... I was in my early 20s and this was 40 years ago and nobody cares.

John

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 11:55:41 AM »

I used to work for a company that overhauled components for aircraft and we had a similar stamping machine that was a World War Two surplus machine. By chance I noticed that machine had the exact same font and size as the Shelby VIN tags, I thought, Wow how convenient that would be to have. Then I thought, hmmm, why.... I was in my early 20s and this was 40 years ago and nobody cares.

John

You sir are a entrepreneur.....
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 11:57:07 AM »
The original tags have raised lettering and stamped numbers - all the fake tags have silkscreened lettering- so there are no “correct fake tags”. If I was missing my tag I would buy the best looking silk screen tag and hand stamp it to my number - 99.9% of people would not know what a real tag looks like anyway.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 01:13:56 PM »
The original tags have raised lettering and stamped numbers - all the fake tags have silkscreened lettering- so there are no “correct fake tags”. If I was missing my tag I would buy the best looking silk screen tag and hand stamp it to my number - 99.9% of people would not know what a real tag looks like anyway.
The original tags were acid etched. https://www.american-nameplate.com/product/etched-metal-nameplates/
All the repros are silk screened.
My machine also came from work. They had used it to stamp asset ID tags but went to stick on labels instead. It went in my trunk instead of the trash.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 08:22:31 PM »
The lettering is raised not etched in the tag.

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown