Author Topic: 1 of 1 1969 G code "48" Shelby VIN Car  (Read 2912 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
1 of 1 1969 G code "48" Shelby VIN Car
« on: March 05, 2023, 07:42:00 AM »
I think it's important to summarize the information that was posted on the "G code car with the "48" (ie., Shelby VIN)

I am reposting that with the nonsense deleted. The thread had some very valuable information.

A number of details about the past history of the car were posted.  This was in reference to the 15 year old story written by Jerry Heasley and posted on Motor Trends website. There is also information that contradicts the information posted on the website:

http://www.gcodeboss69shelby.com/

Previous Owner observations:

"...but (the car) only made it as far as Shelby’s get when they leave the Dearborn plant. It was finished off in Regular Mustang trim and sold like many factory cars are sold on the employee lot or the like for one reason or the other. The restoration is the owners idea of how it was meant to be along with some owner artistic license 1970 add ons ."

Did this car go to AOSmith to receive Shelby parts?

"No not based on any info that I have seen. It was meant to be finished a Shelby however based on the wiring routing and factory firewall holes done on the assembly line that only Shelby’s had. Regular Mustang parts were on it until the current owner restored it with the Shelby fiberglass."

"Factory documentation shows the car was finished as a Boss 302, and never had Shelby sheet metal installed at A.O. Smith as the Ford contract with A.O. Smith was cancelled before the car left Fords possession. .... that a later owner decided to finish the car off with Shelby front sheet metal. Neat car, with the prospect of having the "48" designation, shame the details are now getting muddied further with such a poorly researched and written article. I can see why certain people get angry when the truth comes out, as it no longer fits the narrative they put their personal reputation on the line to back up."

"I don't know where they got some of their facts but I can tell you that when I bought it the engine and transmission with their so called VIN numbers were long gone .  I call BS on that one. Also as far as condition when it came back from redi strip in bare metal it looked like a piece of swiss cheese. floors ,quarters ,rockers ,doors etc. all needing extensive replacement or repair.  The front clip and the roof were fine . A typical Michigan car. Although I regret it now the body condition was why I sold it. I am not sure why the redacting of the owners name as there has have been other articles on the car over the years where he was front and center.  The owner is a very nice guy and apparently a very good body and paint man. I also admire the lengths he went to for Documentation basically confirming that the car existed but unfortunately nothing that indicates it ever had Shelby fiberglass as implied."

Observations from people that saw the car in the past:

"Back in the early 90s late 80s dont remember anymore a good well known TN  shelby friend of mine Gary Burke (sadly now deceased) called me about an odd 69 shelby he had recently found but couldnt quite figure it out and this was way before shelby invoices and marti reports. I told him i would stop by on my next south  ford dealerships trip and check car out. It was behind his house in pine trees with no front nose on it so we started to inspect it and i took carpet out to find build sheet etc. I had found some unique round shelby gt350 decals that looked like center cap decals dont remember anymore but they were unique under carpet so i knew something was very odd about the car as back then no info was available so i talked george H into buying it then he had it for a while then gaines bought it then a boss 302 guy who lived in indiana had it the biily j bought it and finished the resto. I took lots of photos of the car back then because it at the time was very unusual an odd serial #s and no motor was in it when i seen it and dont remember if i passed the photos on to new owners or if they are still somewhere here in my basement with 1000,s of other car photos (u know the days when we still used cameras and had to take film in town and pay to have it developed "

Another person that saw the car:

. Does anyone's history of this car go back to 1984 like mine does? OK, going to work one night ...  I passed a gas station and there it was. A 69 Mustang with Shelby wheels on it. I turned around and went to the gas station. I met the owner-Jeff Plowman-who was a young kid(we were all young kids back then) and he told me and showed me the car. The Vin, The no side scoop boss 302 quarters. I looked in the trunk for seams for quarter replacement. none. 5th Shelby wheel in the trunk. Shelby console. Car had a 351C in it. So Jeff tells me he traded his 1983 Mustang GT for it. The original Ford worker owner lived in Canton twp Mi and was the original owner who bought it off the Ford used employee lot. The guy had the original engine in his basement but wouldn't sell it with the car. Jeff was living with his friend in Belleville Mi in an apartment at the time(see pic below of his friend and the car). Nik Zuk who worked at Ford went researching and came back with "they made 2 or 3 of those" but never substantiated. Nik lived on the street right behind the gas station and being a Ford racer guy took notice of the car right away(Nik used to race a 69 427 Boss 429 with "Going Mobile" on the quarters for those who remember). Jeff soon disappeared as he moved back to Tn. Back then we didn't have cell phones and social media and the likes. Fast forward to around 1990 and the car is in the Snakebite being sold for around 20K by Gary B out of Kingsport Tn. I talked to Gary and he said he bought it off of Jeff when Jeff went into the coast guard. Then George Huisman got the car. I remember giving the original owner's name to George so he could go look for the engine. IIRC George found out the OO was now deceased and was looking for his son. The first pic was taken at Super Ford Nationals right after George painted the car. Then it went ti Indiana and so forth.
  Now I was told that the owner restored the car the way Ford meant to build it but that isn't the story BJ told me(not knowing me) at a Roush open house right before the Boss Nationals in Dearborn. I won't comment on the car but to me pics speak a 1000 words....Oh, yeah, the yellow 70 Mach1 in the pic? Vinyl roof car that a friend of mine bought in the early 90s sans the race engine. Now the guy in the baseball cap in the pic below I ran into on Facebook many years ago when he posted that pic. I asked him to give Jeff my contact info and contact me but he never did. That guy lives in Tx now.

Another great addition to the information and confirmed by the Shelby World Registry:

The Ford build sheet for this vehicle.  In Row H - Remarks - the following is typed:  This unit is a Boss. Not a Shelby.  Mustang Boss 302

The omission of the build sheet (on the gcode69bossshelby website)  is very telling.

Another First hand account of the car

"Yeah, period pics and my history with the car albeit brief it touched when Jeff, Gary and George owned the car. I saw the car in person. I wanted to buy the wheels off the car until I was told what it was. Tried researching it back then. The guy who "restored" it it was a few decades after I first laid eyes on the car that he probably did. No paperwork exists of the car running through AO Smith I was told back then. I got HAMMERED telling what I "knew" on a few forums back in the 2000s. I was "jealous", didn't know what I was talking about. "threatened" etc. so I let it go. People can believe what they want. Back then I didn't have a copy of the "1985" pic that I do now. I only wish Jeff Plowman would come out of the woodwork and speak since  what I know he told me and knew the PO since he traded for the car. It is a 1 of 1 prototype. It is a cool car even in the configuration it is now. It's just that the story I was told a few years ago at the Roush open house didn't jibe with my history with the car back in the 80s. I could have introduced myself but felt the conversation would have went south so after hearing the "story" of the car I walked away

Observation on the owner's claim it was the only 1969 Shelby without power Steering:

There actually was another 1969 without power steering. So that is another error.

Additional Information

We interviewed Carroll Shelby in 1990 for a video we were doing on him. He did state "Ford actually and finally built the engines that I liked: the Boss 302, and Boss 429. I wanted those engines to power my 1969 models...there were a few prototypes made (possibly the car mentioned in this thread). However, the bean counters at Ford put an end to that" He then went on to talk about the prototype cars with the fuel injection and other things.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 1 of 1 1969 G code "48" Shelby VIN Car
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 07:53:14 AM »
Where did the original thread go?

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 08:10:02 AM »
Where did the original thread go?
An email told me the topic was removed. I started a topic asking WHY? I think it was reckless to remove it. If some posts go south a mod can delete them to keep the topic on hand or even lock after the topic has run it's course.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 08:32:57 AM »
pic of the car decades ago.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 08:43:59 AM »
quote: "We interviewed Carroll Shelby in 1990 for a video we were doing on him. He did state "Ford actually and finally built the engines that I liked: the Boss 302, and Boss 429. I wanted those engines to power my 1969 models...there were a few prototypes made (possibly the car mentioned in this thread). However, the bean counters at Ford put an end to that" He then went on to talk about the prototype cars with the fuel injection and other things. " quote

Now  I always thought that Carroll wanted the boss engines in the 1970 Shelbys they were planning on doing before the program was ended. Not 1969 models  or was it 1969 but the engines were not finalized yet? Could you imagine a 69(70) GT500 with a Boss 429? Well I think 1 does "kinda" exists out of the 2 quarter horse cars?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 08:52:04 AM »
I agree it appears to be misuse of the moderator power

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 10:04:53 AM »
quote: "We interviewed Carroll Shelby in 1990 for a video we were doing on him. He did state "Ford actually and finally built the engines that I liked: the Boss 302, and Boss 429. I wanted those engines to power my 1969 models...there were a few prototypes made (possibly the car mentioned in this thread). However, the bean counters at Ford put an end to that" He then went on to talk about the prototype cars with the fuel injection and other things. " quote

Now  I always thought that Carroll wanted the boss engines in the 1970 Shelbys they were planning on doing before the program was ended. Not 1969 models  or was it 1969 but the engines were not finalized yet? Could you imagine a 69(70) GT500 with a Boss 429? Well I think 1 does "kinda" exists out of the 2 quarter horse cars?

During our video interview, Carroll said "1969". So, I would assume(?) that he maybe meant to say '69/70 models'. I just quoted what he actually said from the video. And yes, I also believe (?) maybe those 'Quarter Horse' prototypes 'could' be an outgrowth from the ideas. I have no facts, or proof to make that claim. Anyways, Shelby did mention the 'test mules', or 'prototypes' were crushed and destroyed.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 10:26:06 AM »
Hi fellas, I did not delete that very active post.

Whomever did should have gone through it and removed a few comments that where completely off topic.

That was a very vibrant post

Have a great day
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 11:11:12 AM »
The fantastic information and photographs provided by members (some who were past owners) explained the car in question - it is a boss 302 G code with the Shelby 48 in the vin. The vehicle was not sent to A.O. Smith and left Dearborn as a boss 302 mustang.

Unfortunately because of juvenile behavior the thread was destroyed. The constant attempt to make definitive statements about the intent of corporations and deceased people is a waste of time. Please let the facts speak for themselves, if you have no knowledge about a subject then your two cents really are not needed.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 11:21:16 AM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 11:25:43 AM »
Oh, I think the original poster got exactly what he wanted.

He just didn't realize he had stumbled upon an actual story that has been mischaracterized over the years and now the owner can thank him for bringing out all the dirty laundry
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 11:27:40 AM by Coralsnake »

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2023, 04:39:38 PM »
Pete you can call George up. He's still around.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2023, 07:15:10 PM »
I saw the car in question about 10 -12 years ago at one of the SAAC shows. It was all dressed up as a Shelby and painted blue. The owner was handing out flyers.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 07:29:51 AM »
Pete you can call George up. He's still around.
Yes, George lives by me here in Mi. I've known him since 1986. Bought a lot of parts off of him back then for restorations. His shop at one time was a mile from my house. George and Travis(his son) sell cars on BaT under Vista.
For those who don't know George here is his business. https://classicdesignconcepts.com/  I believe he still has OEM parts biz also as I think his brother Hank-who was reproducing the 70 Shelby front spoiler- sells parts down in Florida and is the "go to" guy for ASC McClaren parts as he acquired the mother load back then when they closed up. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 07:45:14 AM »
^^^ Great source for XR7-G and GT-E parts also.

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023, 07:55:18 AM »
^^^ Great source for XR7-G and GT-E parts also.

- Phillip
Yes, George has always been a Cougar guy.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990