Author Topic: Metal backing plate to housing flange gaskets  (Read 1296 times)

TS69GT500

• View Profile
Metal backing plate to housing flange gaskets
« on: March 05, 2023, 01:11:47 PM »
Is there any source for the original style metal backing plate to housing flange gaskets for 9in 31 spl rear?
My car 1969 GT500 original/not restored  does have these metal gaskets.
Seems like they are not available from the usual Mustang parts houses.
They are listed in the NPD catalog as used "after 9/30/69".
Was told they are not available.
Ran what I think is the correct part number D0OZ-1001-A thru Green Sales site but "not in stock" 
Thanks,
TonyS   

mr68shelby

• View Profile
Re: Metal backing plate to housing flange gaskets
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 08:24:43 PM »
Fel-Pro 55035 should be what you are looking for. Mike

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 10:48:55 PM »
I get them through Rockauto

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 07:58:20 AM »
Is there any source for the original style metal backing plate to housing flange gaskets for 9in 31 spl rear?
My car 1969 GT500 original/not restored  does have these metal gaskets.
Seems like they are not available from the usual Mustang parts houses.
They are listed in the NPD catalog as used "after 9/30/69".
Was told they are not available.
Ran what I think is the correct part number D0OZ-1001-A thru Green Sales site but "not in stock" 
Thanks,
TonyS
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1969,mustang,7.0l+428cid+v8,1132434,drivetrain,axle+shaft+flange+gasket,1760
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 11:26:58 AM »
     Just a note:

These axle flange ends to backing plate gaskets, though were installed by the O.E.M. originally, actually serve no useful service purpose in the functioning vehicle; so buy them if you want them for perhaps to have a proper presentation, but not because you might believe that they are required.   ;)

I have never established the reasoning for their placement, only that perhaps in an earlier engineering rendition of the axle, realizing that the original sealing material was leather  :o, and not the best at actually providing a real fluid seal  ::), the engineers may have set forth something different than that which evolved and this particular gasket just remained, forgotten?   :-\   

B.T.W., consider the functioning relationship and required interaction at this juncture of the mounting of the backing plate to axle flange end, and whether any kind of flexibility should be provided for by any sort of medium between the two?   ???  But anyway, I sure wouldn't buy the rubber or thick paper examples'!   ::)

Scott.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 12:02:42 PM »
Fel-Pro 55035 should be what you are looking for. Mike

Yes each backing plate should have one metal one and one paper one.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 01:34:22 PM »
........each backing plate should have one metal one and one paper one.

Again, just adding overall information on the subject:  the #55035 would appear to be a metal core sealing gasket, with a proper placement of between the backing plate & axle end flange; and the composite (paper) type 2nd gasket which mounts between the axle retainer plate & backing plate is a different unit, as stated above.   :)

The 2nd composite gasket was lost to the O.E.M.s' production line sometime in the '70's; so I guess they figured out that at least they could skip that one!  ::)  Anyone figured out why they're even there?  Well, at least in one of the earlier design executions the axle retainer plate exhibited a cup-like profile at its' lowest surface, which with oil leakage thru the axle seal would migrate outward and with gravity drain into this catch; then there was a drilled hole thru the backing plate which allowed the lube to drain to the exterior away from the brake drums & shoes.  But, that ain't how the later examples, such as  your '69 are; so with both sealing gaskets in place, you route the leakage directly into the brake drum area and guarantee saturation of the shoes!   :o

So now, you must choose between that which might be "correct" but isn't,...............or that which isn't "correct" but at least might be more so!   ::)

Scott.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

TS69GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 04:22:10 PM »
Thanks to all for the info.
Yes, I did manage to order the Fel-Pro 55035 gaskets.

Also,  A big shout out to Royce Peterson.
Don't know you personally but I do remember your posts on the old FE Engine Forum.
They provided me with volumes of solid information.

I did catch your stunning blue and silver 68 Cougar at Carlisle  2005 or 2006, 2007, don't remember
Best regards,
TonyS