News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hagerty ins. Leaving Ca?

Started by pchmotoho, March 06, 2023, 12:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pchmotoho

I heard a rumor that Hagerty was leaving the Ca. market?  Has anyone else heard anything?
It wouldn't surprise me. Ins companies are massively bailing out of Ca.

TA Coupe

They haven't sent me a notification about it on my car.

Roy.
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Coralsnake

Hope they go broke, just my opinion, others may feel differently

mgreene

I had Barrett Jackson collectors insurance for the last 10+ years. Was informed late last year that they were no longer insuring cars in Alabama. Went with Parrish, which was about 30% cheaper than Hagerty.
'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

TOBKOB

I don't know about others but I'm pretty happy with Hagerty...9 cars and 2 trailers insured with them... I don't think it's just insurance companies leaving CA.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Coralsnake

I would highly encourage you to do a little comparison of rates. Grundy or Heacock are probably cheaper.

Hagerty is too busy selling carbon credits to care about their customers

CSX 4133

Hagerty is a for profit company (as are all insurance companies) if they leave California it's more than likely a business decision. Years ago I did my due diligence and tried to compare rates with Hagerty, Grundy, Heacock and several others. Neither Grundy , nor Heacock replied to my email inquiries. So I went with the company that offered the best over all coverage for my collector cars, race cars when off track, etc.

To date I've never made a claim (knock on wood), because that's when you find out how good your coverage really is.

68stangcjfb

I have Hagerty. When my 1958 Thunderbird was rear-ended by an idiot in traffic, they paid the $16,000 agreed value for the car. No bickering or silly questions asked. When my 1967 Fairlane station wagon got its windshield broken, they paid $521.26. No bickering or silly questions asked. You would think they would get out of Florida because of all the flooding and hurricanes. The carbon credits thing is pretty stupid though considering their clientele. Maybe they want out of California because they think the big one is coming. God forbid!
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

Coralsnake

Everyone is free to choose

I say compare rates, i think most will be surprised. Why pay the extra money for their carbon credit program?

98SVT - was 06GT

I've got Hagerty on 2 cars - no claims.
I don't like that SAAC uses them for convention registration. Bring that back inhouse so I'm not forced to share my info with a 3rd party.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

ChicagoChris

CA, MI, TX, NY have the highest collector car population in the US.

Agree CA is a communist state, but I'd be surprised if they stopped doing business in the state.

SCJSTU

Hagerty has Wall Street money pouring in it and they are buying up everything related to collector cars ie high end shows  like Amelia and ruining something pure to chase every freaking dollar
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

JohnSlack

Another point to consider, with all of the good shops extremely busy currently and most are becoming very selective about who they will deal with as far as insurance companies. If you have a favorite place or preferred shop ask the owner if they have had any issues. When my 2010 Mustang GT got hit by an Uber driver last year I took my car into the shop, when discussing the repairs the head guy asked me who the insurance company was? I told him that Allstate was who Uber used, he asked me who I had I told him my insurance information. He told me that if I wanted the car repaired correctly that I should use my insurance and subrogate with Allstate. I then asked him about collector car insurance and told him I had Hagerty. He responded that they are the best to deal with when restoring a car after an accident in his experience by far. So before you choose the cheapest rate ask the guys on the other end.

John

rhjanes

Quote from: JohnSlack on March 08, 2023, 09:58:54 AM
Another point to consider, with all of the good shops extremely busy currently and most are becoming very selective about who they will deal with as far as insurance companies. If you have a favorite place or preferred shop ask the owner if they have had any issues. When my 2010 Mustang GT got hit by an Uber driver last year I took my car into the shop, when discussing the repairs the head guy asked me who the insurance company was? I told him that Allstate was who Uber used, he asked me who I had I told him my insurance information. He told me that if I wanted the car repaired correctly that I should use my insurance and subrogate with Allstate. I then asked him about collector car insurance and told him I had Hagerty. He responded that they are the best to deal with when restoring a car after an accident in his experience by far. So before you choose the cheapest rate ask the guys on the other end.

John
I had the exact same conversation with a body repair shop.  Not about collector cars.  I was in my 1999 F250 in a grocery store parking lot when this guy jumped in his Mustang and just put it in reverse and backed into me.  It crunched the fender just behind my front tire.  He seemed nice as we exchanged information but I noted lots of minor damage on his car.  he had some insurance I'd never heard of.  I called my insurance, USAA and just had a "Claim conversation".  Not officially "pressing enter".  Some 4 hours later, the guy calls me and tells me there was no way his car did "all that damage"!!  I tell him that he hit a fender, which is just thin sheet metal to keep from flinging mud and HIS bumper is reinforced.  He mumbled something and we said goodbye.   I hit the disconnect button and called USAA back to open the claim.  The next day I was at their designated body shop to get the estimate and had a similar conversation with the adjuster.  "he has X insurance?  They are hacks.  You are 100 percent doing the right thing, let USAA go after them.  You should....eventually, get the deductible".  He was right!  I just took the payment as the truck was ancient and I was shopping for a new one.  But some 4 MONTHS later (I'd gifted the truck to another family member) the other insurance contacted me with "We don't think our client did all this damage"  "We thank you for all the photos (sent from both me and the claims adjuster) but WE need to now inspect the truck" (WHAT?!?!  4 months after the damage?! They don't think people want to get their vehicles repaired?).  I told them USAA made me whole minus my deductible and they needed to call USAA.  I hung up and called USAA to report the contact.  They held back their laughter....but eventually I got my deductible even paid.  Like the claim adjuster said, "Why these hacks even try this against reputable insurance companies....."
All that said, I believe the collector car insurance companies seem to take care of their clients.  I can't remember reading any major issues with any of them.  But I always caution about shopping insurance based solely on the most inexpensive. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork