Author Topic: Ford wants their car back  (Read 1098 times)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: Ford wants their car back
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 03:49:44 PM »
Has it gotten to the point yet where we just will not want anything past 1996 yet?
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 03:59:00 PM »
Simpler times.  Bring me back to simpler times.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 07:24:09 PM »
We in trouble now bosssssss!
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 08:34:50 PM »
Another good reason to pay cash..

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 05:00:05 PM »
Pay cash?  You will pay in digital coin and you will like it!  Actually you will own nuthin and be happy.  Eat zee bugs!

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 07:49:11 PM »
Okay, so this thread is about near-future vehicles and the ability of what I call The Evil Eye In The Sky (FoMoCo, in this case) to shut you down, wherever you are. For whatever reason "they" deem prudent.

A natural extension of such over-reaching control of personal property leads minds to think of other things that TEEITS could control with the push of a button from far, far, away.   

One possiblity: What happens when the federal gov't forces digital money on us, and eliminates/outlaws all other forms of fiat currency?

Capitalism and free enterprise are doomed. 

Why?

TEEITS can/will turn off the digital spigot of funds anytime they want, for any made-up reason.

They can/will tax and devaluate your digi-currency, for any made-up reason.

They can/will freeze all of your digital assets at the push of a button, for any made-up reason.

Not to mention the very real possibility of your entire digital worth being hacked, stolen and/or obliterated.

The Barbarians are nearing the gate.

Some businesses right now are displaying signs reading "No Cash!" 
I can't see how that is legal.  (Richard...please explain.)

To refuse to abide by this sign-writing ridiculousness, all a customer has to do is to take any denomination bill out of their wallet and read one sentence out-loud to the person behind the counter: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." 

I've read it out-loud so many times in the past two years that it's indelibly imprinted on my brain. I am always sure to speak slowly and emphasize "Legal Tender for ALL Debts." 

When the snowflake employee inevitably shrugs and points to his/her hand-scrawled sign (usually in pretty crayon colors) I say: "What part of ALL DEBTS don't you understand?  I then lay down the appropriate denomination of bill and stand there. If he/she won't take it, I leave the item I was going to purchase and walk out. 

So, cash is already being refused  And, unless you live completely off-the-grid and can survive that way, barter can only take you so far. 

Tomorrow's world will be even worse. Glad I'm not any younger. At least I won't have to deal with it for long. I feel badly for our kids and grandkids.

Ford's press release that began this thread tries to put a happy spin on its over-reach. It'll probably snow some people. The flakes, for certain.

Me, I'm outta here...

1st gear                                                 2nd gear                                                     3rd gear                       4th gear                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXpowershiftXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXpowershiftXXXXXXXXXxxxxpowershiftXXxxxxxxxxxx

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxXXxxxxxxxxxx

I'd smoke 'em even further, but I ran out of track. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 10:32:39 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 08:45:43 PM »
To refuse to abide by this sign-writing ridiculousness, all a customer has to do is to take any denomination bill out of their wallet and read one sentence out-loud to the person behind the counter: "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private." 

So, cash is already being refused  And, unless you live completely off-the-grid and can survive that way, barter can only take you so far. 

100% agree - however if they refuse to sell you the item is it a debt? You owe them nothing until they are willing to transfer the item to you. I'd approach it as an age discrimination case and get the feds involved. Should make a good Fox news story - of course on CNN they'll spin it as you are an economic terrorist.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 10:35:59 PM »
Brett:
Good point on the "is it a debt" question. I hope Richard will weigh-in on this.   

I like the age discrimination angle. I'll start using that.  "I'm too old and feeble-minded to understand how to tap or swipe anything."

Besides, my parents taught me not to swipe anything from anyone. Especially not in a store. 

I'm old and feeble. Did I already say that? 
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 10:59:42 PM »
Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?
There is no federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law that says otherwise.

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve Banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues." This statute means that all U.S. money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor.
Taken from the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve web page.  Operative words "unless there is a state law that says otherwise."

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 12:15:38 AM »
Well, that sucks for us cash lovers. But, I’m going to keep up my check-out protests anyway.
Current:

Formerly:
1970 Ranchero GT 429

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 12:05:08 PM »
Okay, so this thread is about near-future vehicles and the ability of what I call The Evil Eye In The Sky (FoMoCo, in this case) to shut you down, wherever you are. For whatever reason "they" deem prudent.

A natural extension of such over-reaching control of personal property leads minds to think of other things that TEEITS could control with the push of a button from far, far, away.   

One possiblity: What happens when the federal gov't forces digital money on us, and eliminates/outlaws all other forms of fiat currency?

Capitalism and free enterprise are doomed. 

Why?

TEEITS can/will turn off the digital spigot of funds anytime they want, for any made-up reason.

They can/will tax and devaluate your digi-currency, for any made-up reason.

They can/will freeze all of your digital assets at the push of a button, for any made-up reason.

Not to mention the very real possibility of your entire digital worth being hacked, stolen and/or obliterated.

The Barbarians are nearing the gate.

Some businesses right now are displaying signs reading "No Cash!" 
I can't see how that is legal.  (Richard...please explain.)

I've read it out-loud so many times in the past two years that it's indelibly imprinted on my brain. I am always sure to speak slowly and emphasize "Legal Tender for ALL Debts." 

When the snowflake employee inevitably shrugs and points to his/her hand-scrawled sign (usually in pretty crayon colors) I say: "What part of ALL DEBTS don't you understand?  I then lay down the appropriate denomination of bill and stand there. If he/she won't take it, I leave the item I was going to purchase and walk out. 

Tomorrow's world will be even worse. Glad I'm not any younger. At least I won't have to deal with it for long. I feel badly for our kids and grandkids.

Ford's press release that began this thread tries to put a happy spin on its over-reach. It'll probably snow some people. The flakes, for certain.

Me, I'm outta here...

1st gear                                                 2nd gear                                                     3rd gear                       4th gear                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXpowershiftXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXpowershiftXXXXXXXXXxxxxpowershiftXXxxxxxxxxxx

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxXXxxxxxxxxxx

I'd smoke 'em even further, but I ran out of track.

I whole heartly agree with Van's comments. I will never buy a 'new' car again.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 01:27:06 PM »
It is quite amazing how we are all being led down this garden path

The problems I have with even basic business interactions these days (read: banks) does not bode well for the future when there will be even fewer people to speak with (after an hour on hold) who can sort out the issues caused by their systems

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 04:01:11 PM »
It is quite amazing how we are all being led down this garden path

The problems I have with even basic business interactions these days (read: banks) does not bode well for the future when there will be even fewer people to speak with (after an hour on hold) who can sort out the issues caused by their systems

+ 1 you hit the nail right on the head
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy