News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 GT500 Transmission Question

Started by rdmgt500, March 06, 2023, 07:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdmgt500

Finally had an opportunity to get the camera scope out to start taking pics of casting numbers. I found a transmission casting number of RF-C6AP-7006 and on the servo cover, RF-C6AP-7D027-A with "D". The tag reads PGB AF1. Reading previous forum entries, looks like I should have a "R" servo for a 69 GT500 CJ. Is the case number even correct for the vehicle? It's a 3-speed C6 automatic with a 1/28/69 build date.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rdmgt500 on March 06, 2023, 07:54:46 PM
Finally had an opportunity to get the camera scope out to start taking pics of casting numbers. I found a transmission casting number of RF-C6AP-7006 and on the servo cover, RF-C6AP-7D027-A with "D". The tag reads PGB AF1. Reading previous forum entries, looks like I should have a "R" servo for a 69 GT500 CJ. Is the case number even correct for the vehicle? It's a 3-speed C6 automatic with a 1/28/69 build date.
It is best that you find a transmission that already has a R servo in it. Seldom do you find a R servo separate from the main case. Complete transmissions are out there but expect to pay 2-3K. Some go for less some more. You will be sorry if as a novice try to piece one together. Many are found that came from column shift CJ big cars but those cane be converted to floor shift for about 125.00 with a repro floor shift arm.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

Agree with what Bob says. There are other differences too that you need to have a legitimate 428CJ / SCJ automatic. Different number of clutch discs, different clutch drum, different apply lever that is unique to the R servo for starters.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Shelbypat

A true CJ  C-6 case should have this number.
IMHO

Patrick

rdmgt500

Thanks for the insights. Will take your advice. I found an R Servo listed in the parts for sale forum.
Bob

Shelbypat

Mansfield mustang is listed for the Iron tail if needed. Not free 575.00 $ Beautiful bucks.

Patrick