News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

deluxe door panels

Started by nwfire, March 06, 2023, 08:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: roddster on March 10, 2023, 03:33:30 PM
  More on these "screws" to hold them on:  The only screws I know of were the ones (ah, one on each side) at the rear of the panel.  this was about an inch forward of the rear of the panel, meaning forward of the surround chrome. And about centered on the panel - up and down wise.
  The screw has a finish washer on it.  This holds the panel on as I suppose some panels popped loose with a good door slam.
To add, the one on the rear of the panel was typically installed and the location varied slightly within a inch and since it was done by a assemblyline worker and not a machine the variation is expected. The screw on the upper front was less typical and most likely installed "as needed" .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

roddster

I'll have to start looking for that upper one.  Even my 67 GTA had the screw at the rear of the door.  Built at San Jose 3 to 5  weeks after my GT 350 in October/November of 1966

Bob Gaines

Of course it could be used today if needed and not look out of place given that it was often used on many cars originally . Regardless if it was installed originally or not you can satisfy your curiosity by looking at the metal door shell and see if there was a screw hole there or not. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

There was a service bulletin on the additional screw at the rear of the panel, see attached as image of a door that got two holes (the small ones).
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

mlplunkett

So does anyone know of a source for better quality repop panels?
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

DGSOH

Quote from: mlplunkett on March 14, 2023, 04:05:14 PM
So does anyone know of a source for better quality repop panels?
Sometimes it's hard to get a comment from folks on repro parts around here so I'll offer my by-no-means expert opinion.

I think you'll find them all to be a compromise of one sort or another, it's up to you what you're willing to accept. I would've had my originals restored but for the cost and no guarantee of outcome held me back.

I looked at TMI, Mustang Exchange and Dashes Direct. I landed on the DD as the lesser of the 3 evils, yours and/or other opinions may, and likely will differ.