Author Topic: deluxe door panels  (Read 2368 times)

nwfire

• View Profile
deluxe door panels
« on: March 06, 2023, 08:06:18 PM »
#906 should be coming back from the paint shop next month.  I'm busy getting all the interior parts cleaned up and ready for re-installation.  I've never been able to get my door panels (re-pops) to fit flat against the doors (originals unfortunately long gone).  My panels have a stiff foam filling in the back of them and are pretty much non-flexable.  They also have a bit of a curve to them from top to bottom which makes them want to pull away from the door.

What are other using for deluxe door panels??  I see some that have "hard press board", "masonite" wood backing and "MDF" backing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: deluxe door panels
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 09:26:08 PM »
I have some nice black original panels with no cracks including the arm rests. They are not cheap when compared to repros . If interested PM me for details.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 11:04:29 PM »
I had a nice repro set that were a bit bowed too, since the car was a few weeks away from being ready for them I cut a piece of ply wood to the same shape and carefully clamped them to either side of the plywood for a few weeks and that helped a lot to flatten them so they fit on the doors better.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 07:14:20 AM »

JessC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 10:59:58 AM »
I would be intrested in The door panels, Bob

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 03:21:39 PM »
Endemic in the darn things. I have 3 sets of brand new 65/66 deluxe panels in stock, two still in the plastic and in the box that are warped. One other set new but shop worn...same thing. I tried putting them on a rack with weight opposing the bend in the heat. It came out but came right back. Maybe thats why the vast majority of them on cars (non shelbys that I deal with) have a few screws holding them on. A friend just installed brand new panels on a build. He used screws. Another friend with an E car, Screws in his door panels. How the suppliers can't sort this issue out is beyond me.

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 04:21:14 PM »
https://www.mustangmarket.com/door.htm
Do Mustang Market panels have masonite (hardboard) backing?  Has anyone tried these?
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 10:17:27 PM »
Endemic in the darn things. I have 3 sets of brand new 65/66 deluxe panels in stock, two still in the plastic and in the box that are warped. One other set new but shop worn...same thing. I tried putting them on a rack with weight opposing the bend in the heat. It came out but came right back. Maybe thats why the vast majority of them on cars (non shelbys that I deal with) have a few screws holding them on. A friend just installed brand new panels on a build. He used screws. Another friend with an E car, Screws in his door panels. How the suppliers can't sort this issue out is beyond me.
For a more successful result try moistening the backing so that it is more pliable. When it dries while being held straight in place it stays better. The same premise as bending and forming wood. At least it worked for me.  Plus 67 deluxe door panels had screws added to the panels from the factory so that they would not pop loose .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 03:35:42 AM »
Thank you Bob. Advice from you is as good as it gets

When I said screws: you don’t want to see where they put them :-(

I will wet my new panels shortly :-)

Thanks.

DGSOH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 03:56:58 AM »
Do Mustang Market panels have masonite (hardboard) backing?  Has anyone tried these?
Of the 3 manufactures I tried these were the least like originals in appearance imo, though as I recall they claim otherwise, and quality issues beyond panel flatness. They wouldn't take them back and I couldn't/wouldn't use them.

I don't remember if they were masonite backed or not but I could dig them out and look if you like.

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 06:58:01 AM »
Of the 3 manufactures I tried these were the least like originals in appearance imo, though as I recall they claim otherwise, and quality issues beyond panel flatness. They wouldn't take them back and I couldn't/wouldn't use them.

I don't remember if they were masonite backed or not but I could dig them out and look if you like.

Thanks for that Info.  I got the link from this site a while back and saved it.  I will delete the Link from my list now.

nwfire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 10:52:26 PM »
OK, thanks for all the suggestions and comments.  I may have found a set of used originals.  Will need to be re-covered.  Has anyone used "Just Dashes" for door panel re-covering or can recommend someone else to re-cover these??

Thanks.

azdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 06:28:53 AM »
I got a quote to recover 69 panels from Just Dashes a while back. It was shocking. Something like $800 per panel...

Pat

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 07:45:09 AM »
I have 2 RH (passenger) side NOS 67 door panels that a customer wants to sell.  $3000 each is what he wants.  They have the chrome on them and still have the box.

Darren
darren@shelbyparts.com

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2023, 03:33:30 PM »
  More on these "screws" to hold them on:  The only screws I know of were the ones (ah, one on each side) at the rear of the panel.  this was about an inch forward of the rear of the panel, meaning forward of the surround chrome. And about centered on the panel - up and down wise.
  The screw has a finish washer on it.  This holds the panel on as I suppose some panels popped loose with a good door slam.