News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

A couple of questions.

Started by shelbymann1970, March 08, 2023, 12:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

When did the ribbed Rev limiter DS front apron start showing up on Shelbys and when did the upper firewall being blacked out start appearing? Is there an exact date for both that has been found since all were done at Dearborn? Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

Don't know that either has an exact day the change over took place. Based on my survey of Dearborn built cars I can offer the following

- Cowl above the firewall to cowl pinch weld finish.  Change from body color to engine compartment or other black over body color. Approximately last week of April based on what I've collected.

- Change from the flat to ribbed drivers side inner fender panel. Between Feb 7th and March 27th.  Earliest and latest of each version found in multiples to allow for. No restored cars used for the survey.

Have not updated either survey in a while adding in new findings so there might be more data to offer but don't think it will change much. Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 08, 2023, 01:55:54 PM
Don't know that either has an exact day the change over took place. Based on my survey of Dearborn built cars I can offer the following

- Cowl above the firewall to cowl pinch weld finish.  Change from body color to engine compartment or other black over body color. Approximately last week of April based on what I've collected.

- Change from the flat to ribbed drivers side inner fender panel. Between Feb 7th and March 27th.  Earliest and latest of each version found in multiples to allow for. No restored cars used for the survey.

Have not updated either survey in a while adding in new findings so there might be more data to offer but don't think it will change much. Hope this helps
Thanks as always Jeff. My thought would be the paint would be pretty much a hard line but we know how car companies rotated their stock on sheet metal  ::) so I could see a wide range on that. I was looking at this 3-24-69 built Shelby and had the upper body color and the ribbed panel.  Car appears to be a solid car. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-shelby-gt350-4/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

J_Speegle

With paint details its easy to think that one shift of painter might not make the change exactly like management wanted it on a specific day. Habits can be difficult to break or they could forget and fall back into their old habit especially in an area that one of the inspectors find important. Be know that runs in paint or low or no coverage in areas like the engine compartment, trunk or under the car were not important

As far as the car you posted its easy to see that the car has seen many changes since it were new and for my surveys would not be in consideration but would only be considered if there were two or more unrestored cars built the same day (or the one very near to it) to support the data. Just my choice and process others maight consider a single finding important enough.

Edited to correct my earlier statement, after my morning drive and reflection.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 08, 2023, 02:21:19 PM
With paint details its easy to think that one shift of painter might not make the change exactly like management wanted it on a specific day. Habits can be difficult to break or they could forget and fall back into their old habit especially in an area that one of the inspectors find important. Be know that runs in paint or low or no coverage in areas like the engine compartment, trunk or under the car were not important

As far as the car you posted its easy to see that the car has seen many changes since it were new and for my surveys would not be in consideration but would only be considered if there were two or more unrestored cars built the same day (or the one very near to it) to support the data. Just my choice and process others maight consider a single finding important enough.
Definitely not a original car(many resto errors in my book) but the apron and upper color are correct. I see that error too many times. Earlier cars with later service ribbed aprons.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

430dragpack

Jeff,
Did SJ follow this approximate timing also?   I ask because I have a pretty original '69 Grande parts car that was built in February that has the black out above the pinch weld.  It does have the flat DS front apron also.  It also has three lenses on the back-up lights. 
Chris

J_Speegle

Quote from: 430dragpack on March 08, 2023, 05:55:28 PM
Jeff,
Did SJ follow this approximate timing also?   I ask because I have a pretty original '69 Grande parts car that was built in February that has the black out above the pinch weld.  It does have the flat DS front apron also.  It also has three lenses on the back-up lights. 
Chris

What I've collected for San Jose in 69 is as follows

- Smooth to ribbed drivers side forward inner fender panel, the change took place between April 7th and the 14th

- The painting of the cowl from the firewall to cowl pinchweld and above, I have not been able to place since I've got examples from almost job #1 with it blacked out and a smattering of body color cowls into the first week of Jan 69. Appears that San Jose started much much earlier.

Special Ed

I always thought those changes had something to do with the new dearborn boss 302 coming out and having a rev limiter mounted on lh apron the ribs added support  and the  boss 302  black out hood and cowl  area gap the black out cowl blends in and hides the body color seen on the cowl depending on how hood and cowl lines up especially on light color cars and the body color showing thru the cowl vents by wiper arms mounts. Also the black out hides the body color that shows thru the dash pad gaps by defroster vents and the  body color gap below bottom windshield and far front of dash pad. Either way the  cowl blackout just looks so much better especially on white cars .  Both changes were a running change and started before boss 302 production in early april  and i have seen the early smooth apron show up on a few later 69s but that may have something to do the fact that the front frame rails were all spotwelded together with shock tower as i have had both sides of complete framerails that had front and rear aprons spotwelded on the tower and these were NOS ford dealership assemblies sold thru service parts departments.

Bill

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 08, 2023, 06:22:25 PM
Quote from: 430dragpack on March 08, 2023, 05:55:28 PM
Jeff,
Chris

1584, a March 31st 69 build is the earliest ribbed inner fender panel and big suspension car, per deep discussion on SAAC 1.0 . So some were made a week or so earlier, perhaps per configuration, or what came out of the assembly bins for that day and shift.

When I received 1584, above the pinchweld was factory applied blackout. When using a heated, high pressure wand to clean the compartment, grabber orange was found underneath, and almost halfway to the rear of the shock towers at the top of the inner fender panels
Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bill on March 09, 2023, 05:53:42 AM
1584, a March 31st 69 build is the earliest ribbed inner fender panel and big suspension car, per deep discussion on SAAC 1.0 . So some were made a week or so earlier, perhaps per configuration, or what came out of the assembly bins for that day and shift.

When I received 1584, above the pinchweld was factory applied blackout. When using a heated, high pressure wand to clean the compartment, grabber orange was found underneath, and almost halfway to the rear of the shock towers at the top of the inner fender panels
Bill

Bill guess your response is a Dearborn car rather than a San Jose one. I see that I had included that car and the findings in my records and as you can see reply #1 we've documented cars built prior to that date discussed back on SAAC 1.0.  Just wanted to let you that one had been included :)  Earliest usage do far from Dearborn I have records of is on a 6 cylinder coupe built there

Bill

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 09, 2023, 01:23:03 PM
Quote from: Bill on March 09, 2023, 05:53:42 AM

Bill

Yes, reading the thread on my phone, missed it completely

Bill

Bill guess your response is a Dearborn car rather than a San Jose one. I see that I had included that car and the findings in my records and as you can see reply #1 we've documented cars built prior to that date discussed back on SAAC 1.0.  Just wanted to let you that one had been included :)  Earliest usage do far from Dearborn I have records of is on a 6 cylinder coupe built there
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0