News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68' Convert Trunk Lid ?

Started by FordGT, March 09, 2023, 08:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FordGT

Question, I just put a 68' original convert Shelby trunk lid on my 67 convert and the trunk lid won't stay open.  Does a 68' Shelby have different trunk hinges and rods?

Thanks

68blk500c

shelbydoug

The '67s use the torsion rod but there are no 67 production Shelby Convertibles so I can't comment if there is a difference between the convertible and the fastback parts but probably?

The '68 Shelby's use dual coil springs. I'm not aware of a different spring for the 68 Shelby convertible v. fastback, but it is possible? I don't remember this subject ever coming up?

The convertible deck lid is definitely bigger and heavier then the fastback version and the 67 Shelby fastback decklid is also noticeably heavier then the '68 is so an investigation of part numbers is in order.

I can tell you that the trunk lid on my '67 GT500 tends to slam shut by itself with the original torsion bar set up so maybe that was something that was never dealt with in the conversion from a Mustang to a Shelby?

The convertible is a different animal though. Try Tony Branda. See if he offers a spring for your application. I have no doubt that you are going to have to change to a '68 type of spring.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

I dont believe there is a coil spring on a 1968 convertible trunk hinge.

The hinges are exactly the same as a Mustang and tension is adjusted by the two rods.

🤷🏻‍♂️

KR500

Quote from: Coralsnake on March 10, 2023, 02:49:10 PM
I dont believe there is a coil spring on a 1968 convertible trunk hinge.

The hinges are exactly the same as a Mustang and tension is adjusted by the two rods.

🤷🏻‍♂️
Not sure if they (68 Shelby convertible torsion rods) are the same as Mustang. 68 GT/CS's using the same trunk lid as the Shelby list a unique torsion rod for them. Different from regular Mustangs. Did that carry over from or to the 68 Shelby's? I don't know, but GT/CS's were first built in Feb. 68. Later than a lot of Shelby's and at a different assembly plant. Yes 68 fastback Mustang/Shelby's use a flat wound clock spring on the hinges unlike the torsion rods on the 67's.
Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

J_Speegle

Yes Calif Specials used a different set of rods for the same reason as the convertible 68 Shelbys.  And as mentioned the fastback trunk hinge design changed in 68 while the coupe and convertible (Mustang and in turn Shelby convertible) continued the earlier torsion rod design.

Believe the standard (non-Calif Special and Shelby) rods were color coded so that workers could identify them from the standard trunk springs but then they were painted with the car body color those color codes were covered and are not visible on the final product. Did check the MPC when I looked for the comment below and it mentioned a yellow ID on the standard spring rods also

If you check a period MPC you will see that they list for replacement purposes C7 rods for the Mustang in 68 while list a C8 part number of Calif Special. No mention for the Shelby application. Base numbers 44890 & 44891
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

Good information as with the 67 Lil'Red tribute I'm building, the stock 67 Mustang torsion bars will not hold the deck lid open.      I went through the labor of building the metal underlined trunk lid for it.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 10, 2023, 02:33:24 PM
The '67s use the torsion rod but there are no 67 production Shelby Convertibles so I can't comment if there is a difference between the convertible and the fastback parts but probably?

::) ::) Uh oh....
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

Probably not in all that paperwork  :o

FL SAAC

Quote from: FordGT on March 09, 2023, 08:10:51 PM
Question, I just put a 68' original convert Shelby trunk lid on my 67 convert and the trunk lid won't stay open.  Does a 68' Shelby have different trunk hinges and rods?

Thanks

I would contact this gentleman who has immersed himself on the 1967 shelby convertible

The one and only 1967 Shelby convertible

http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

It seems odd that the correct torsion bar would be listed as a CS v. a Shelby considering which came first but that's not the issue.

How is anyone going to positively identify the part if it is already painted over the identifying color code?

The first time I handled a '67 Shelby fastback rear decklid I was surprised at the difference with the '68.
No doubt it has to do with one being hand laid fiberglass v. the mold injected versions of the '68s.

The front hood doesn't seem to suffer the same issue but there is a difference in the  brake scoops.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!