News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Ford 427 engines for Mark II & Mark IV

Started by Martyn Schorr, March 10, 2023, 03:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn Schorr

Trying to figure out if, in addition, to ID number on valve covers, engine blocks were stamped on front area "pads" with numbers to match for tracking and positive ID? Since valve covers can be switched accidentally or on purpose and valve cover labels could disintegrate, thinking there should be a positive way to track engines. Any feedback would be appreciated

Doing research for book I'm writing on Roy Lunn. Typical valve cover ID photo attached
Thanks, Marty

Road Reptile

Hello and welcome to the SAAC forum,
A simple thought is it may be wise to contact "Lee Holman" of Holman & Moody. They worked with Ford on 427 engines for multiple applications, and should know something about tracking I.D. #
any pictures or info from years ago mentions experimental part numbers, so far that is all I have ever found. Best of luck on the book project!!
Regards Anthony AKA Road Reptile

Martyn Schorr

Thanks. Lee is a friend, and will run it by him, marty

Side-Oilers

Most of us here should recognize Marty's name, and know of his literally 60+ years of writing excellent automotive articles and well-researched books.

I've know him since the early '80s, and he's a pro. Super nice guy too.

Marty, welcome aboard!
Van
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Martyn Schorr

Thanks Pal for the nice words. Just an old analog journalist trying to survive in a digital world...and having fun doing it, Marty

Coralsnake

Thats a great question

Personally I would like to know more about those numbers and how Ford assigned them

TA Coupe

If you know Randy Gillis, try contacting   him.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Martyn Schorr

Been there, done that! He's not responding to his personal email addresses.

JohnSlack

Somewhere in a box I have a couple of the Holman Moody build sheets for among other things the Riverside race regarding the 427 Ford, in a different box I have the post race evaluation reports on specific 427 engines. I can look for those in the next couple of weeks.

John

warwick

Did Ford just ship blocks (or partial assy) to HM, Shelby, Ford England or complete engines? All years?  There may be build sheets lying around in Shelby docs like for the GT350 R model.

Martyn Schorr

Ford shipped ready to install 427 engines to the teams running Mark II, B, Mark IV. Most of the engines were recorded by valve cover ID, race reports will usually show valve cover ID.  I'm only dealing with 427 engine, built by Ford Triple E engineers and shipped to teams for install. Appreciate all the responses, marty

JohnSlack

Quote from: Martyn Schorr on March 23, 2023, 04:49:31 PM
Ford shipped ready to install 427 engines to the teams running Mark II, B, Mark IV. Most of the engines were recorded by valve cover ID, race reports will usually show valve cover ID.  I'm only dealing with 427 engine, built by Ford Triple E engineers and shipped to teams for install. Appreciate all the responses, marty

Marty,
My mistake you are correct the documents I have are from Engine and Foundry. I have found some of those and am continuing to look for others. You'll have to excuse me as I switched many years ago from the FE to the 302.

John

Martyn Schorr

Thanks John. If you find anything relevant, would appreciate you letting me know, Marty

98SVT - was 06GT

I've heard a rumor that some internal Ford paperwork has surfaced that clearly shows the GTs could have won right out of the box had it not been for Ford higher ups meddling with the teams and also demanding that "their" and not team prepped engines (transmissions, etc) be used. The rumor continued that an ex SA employee from the time was approached to write a book but declined not wanting it to look like sour grapes.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless