News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Time Code seek - Comp Cobra on empty LAX - CSX3016 confirmed / Timecode found

Started by Szabo, March 11, 2023, 02:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szabo

Hello together,

i have found a nice coloured Pic of a Race Cobra an a very empty LAX backround,
of course i found no time code but this is what am i looking for...

I think it could be CSX 3016 ???

the car was unsold , then a Show Car and then sold to Bob Grossmann

but i also heard that it could be CSX2022 or CSX3106 ????

on the set of this Pics i also found a GT350 R Model pic from i think was also made
at the same time and location ...

Any Ideas and Comments are welcome.

Greets from Germany

Stephan

Detailed Pic
very empty for the hole finished Production Aera where normally stands rows of GT350

same car, same location but in black/white with no backround

and the "R" Model GT350 with the same location, same time frame

with more backround, which i think is the same location as the first pic of the Cobra

SunDude

Based on the paint scheme and the dry sump oil setup, I would agree it's probably CSX3016.
Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

Richstang

I would also agree the Cobra you pictured is very likely CSX3016.
It is definately not a 2000 series Cobra...as we can see the larger air intake nose opening
The silver paint with the red, white, and blue thin stripes first appears on 3016 at Sebring in the end of March 1966 (26th)

The R model may or may not be from the same time, but is definatley parked on the concrete sections of the LAX backlot.

That comp car (R) has the 1966 grille and the elongated brake openings in the front valance (thinner elongated openings)
Those changes appear for the 1966 race season. The circle brake vent openings are covered (same part modied?) in your photo.
They appear on the last batch of completed comp (R) models, about 12 cars, but the thinner opening was used on the first cars and they were enlargaed (slighty wider) later in 1966.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

SFM66H

1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

pchmotoho

Background looks pretty cool too with the factory hauler, green GT350, and what are those red cars (more 350s I'm assuming) in the background?

s2ms

Think the 66 in the near background is a black/white stripe car with a black Hertz and yes red GT350's in the far background.
Dave - 6S1757

pchmotoho

Quote from: s2ms on March 12, 2023, 03:01:52 AM
Think the 66 in the near background is a black/white stripe car with a black Hertz and yes red GT350's in the far background.

Green / Black, my eyes are one year newer than these cars and have trouble telling the difference. Not many black non Hertz cars. Pretty cool.

Szabo

Thanks to all for the Identification of CSX 3016

So i am thinking to have a pretty good Time Code here when the Pic was made.

after the San Francisco Auto Show ( 1965 11 18 to 1965 11 30) which the Car was as Show Car
the Car was prepared as Race Car for Bob Grossman from New York
The car was finished 1966 02 25 and shipped 3 days later to Nyack, NY

Because the Car looks so fresh finished i think that only the Time Code 1965 02 25 +max. 3 Days
can be right.

VERY GOOD FOR ME; Thanks for all

What about the "R Model" and the Cars in the Backround to say i am surley not clear
Black or Green, even Blue would be possible, it is to far and bad resolution about these Details

only about 30 Cars are black / white stripes after all

i have one other Pic from a black Non-Hertz GT350 with a MFG 013 license Plate on SAI
and i have a little other one from nearly the same spot but it is very small and shows a dark GT350
in the Backround ( of course i seek the Time Code for these one too)

ANY Thoughts on this one ??? Which Cobras stands here, which timecode ???

s2ms

Quote from: pchmotoho on March 12, 2023, 03:49:59 AM
Green / Black, my eyes are one year newer than these cars and have trouble telling the difference. Not many black non Hertz cars. Pretty cool.

And my eyes are 10 years older!  :o

Maybe I just "want" it to be black since I own one of the black/white cars. I do think the way the sun hits the car in the photo that green would look a little different, but who knows...
Dave - 6S1757

s2ms

Quote from: Szabo on March 12, 2023, 05:29:20 AM
i have one other Pic from a black Non-Hertz GT350 with a MFG 013 license Plate on SAI...

Cool photo, thanks for sharing Stephan!
Dave - 6S1757

6R07mi

Quote from: Richstang on March 11, 2023, 06:12:30 PM

That comp car (R) has the 1966 grille and the elongated brake openings in the front valance (thinner elongated openings)
Those changes appear for the 1966 race season. The circle brake vent openings are covered (same part modied?) in your photo.
They appear on the last batch of completed comp (R) models, about 12 cars, but the thinner opening was used on the first cars and they were enlargaed (slighty wider) later in 1966.

Also 66 side stripe

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

tesgt350

The "R" Car, would that one be considered one of the Carry Over Cars?

Vernon Estes

The specific loose photo discussed here came from me and pictures Alex "Skeet" Kerr in the car...just a little info to add.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

Szabo

Thanks all for the other answers and

VERN, thank for the information, very good to know the Name of the Employee

The R Modell could be 5R528 because it was finished at the same timecode the Cobra is showed,
but i want to check this more in the Details.

Greets Germany