Author Topic: Maybe this is crazy?  (Read 861 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Maybe this is crazy?
« on: March 16, 2023, 11:34:05 AM »
Simple question. When considering a restoration shop or a body shop. Do you remove the shelby tag, before you send it out? Just wondering....
RARE  Signature Delete

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Maybe this is crazy?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 11:56:15 AM »
   If the restorers are to be reworking the area of its' placement, Yep, I sure would!   ;)

And I understand the argument of it not having ever being separated from the chassis; and the possible violation of the: "removal of", "installation of", or "to tamper with" of the V.I.N. tag laws.   :)

But I also sure would do my homework on the proper (reasonably) attaching devices (rivets) for the re-installation process, not for the purpose of being deceptive, but rather just to provide the proper presentation, as I have witnessed a lot of different examples with even instances of two different rivets on a single installation.   :o

Scott.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 12:14:30 PM by pbf777 »

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 12:00:23 PM »
For a simple repair, I would not. Another part to get lost.   

Are you meaning a total nut & bolt resto?

I still would not want to disturb the original rivets if at all possible.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 01:20:27 PM »
Simple question. When considering a restoration shop or a body shop. Do you remove the shelby tag, before you send it out? Just wondering....

IF you have to question doing that, its not the body shop you should be doing business with.
Any honest, well respected shop won't 'steal' your VIN, or tags from your car. Do your research, ask people, check any BBB complaints, etc.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 02:02:00 PM »
Any honest, well respected shop won't 'steal' your VIN, or tags from your car.

Well yes I would agree, if one was concerned that the shop would likely "steal" your tags, then of course that's the wrong place to go; but I would generally be more fearful of the tag being damaged or if they were to be in charge of the removal of such the increased possibility of it being inadvertently lost; it just happens!   :)

Scott.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 03:42:48 PM »
I don't think it's about trusting the shop, it's about securing that little piece of metal.

If it was my car I would take it off and put it away until its time to place back on the vehicle. No one at that shop is going to be guarding it 24 - 7. Stranger things have happened

I've seen bigger things disappear in to thin air and no one knows where they went

Remember David Copperfield disappeared a Lear jet and the statue of liberty.......

Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 04:50:10 PM »

Clarification,  you are talking about the metal tag in the engine bay, secured by two rivets?

Not the v.i.n. tag

Correct ?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 06:59:29 PM »
Yes the vin tag on the drivers side.....I can tell one rivet was removed, probably to verify the ford number.... if they would be doing paint in the engine compartment, I think I should take it off and sleep with it under my pillow....I do not see where it would be a violation as on the passenger sided the vin is there.....and legible.

It seems, your damned if you do and damned if you dont....if you go to sell the car someone always wants to see under it to verify the ford number....then, they can knock it for being not the original pop rivet .....

I take it there is someone who "sells" exact rivets? LOL a .03 cent rivet for 9.99?
RARE  Signature Delete

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 09:11:14 PM »
Yes the vin tag on the drivers side.....I can tell one rivet was removed, probably to verify the ford number.... if they would be doing paint in the engine compartment, I think I should take it off and sleep with it under my pillow....I do not see where it would be a violation as on the passenger sided the vin is there.....and legible.

It seems, your damned if you do and damned if you dont....if you go to sell the car someone always wants to see under it to verify the ford number....then, they can knock it for being not the original pop rivet .....

I take it there is someone who "sells" exact rivets? LOL a .03 cent rivet for 9.99?

That's a big 10-4 little buddy !

Definitely put it under your pillow and you may even get lucky that the Shelby Rivet Fairy may even drop two off....you never know it could happen

Catch you on the flip flop see you on your return trip

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy