Author Topic: Wanted man  (Read 1075 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Wanted man
« on: March 17, 2023, 01:33:19 PM »
 Last summer my 94 year old father drove from Toronto to Chicago by himself and against my wishes. I am at his house now going through things. I happened upon a speeding ticket he got in August of 2022 during his drive from Toronto where he was doing 92mph in a 70 zone. Seems his need for speed has not diminished.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 03:07:04 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted man
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 02:19:28 PM »
Tell Dad that he is my hero !

Also let's start a petition to remove the law enforcement officer that cited him. Anyone over 90 that is driving should get a free pass on anything they do or want.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 02:37:25 PM »
A senior Cannonball Run. 8)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 03:07:55 PM »
He was driving his Dodge Caravan incidentally. Crazy.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 03:20:37 PM »

You know some guy posted about those speed demons from dodge not to long ago.......S.D.A.C. Shelby Dodge Automobile Club

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=21627.0

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 04:04:09 PM »
Just get more details on the stop now. My father is very secretive. He said the guy "was a real pr**k and a nasty." Had I not been going through his documents I would never have known about said moving violation. My concern is that it might be a class B misdemeanor and a bench warrant issued. With interstate compacts we might have a problem at the border. I could get admitted pro hac vice to that state and quash the warrant and pay it on his behalf but what a hassle.

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 04:16:09 PM »
The crash helmet should have been a dead giveaway!

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 05:13:00 PM »
I will have to look up the statute.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »
That should teach him not to by an "Arrest Me Red" car. Everyone knows they look like they are going 20 mph faster than their actual speed.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 08:29:29 PM »
That should teach him not to by an "Arrest Me Red" car. Everyone knows they look like they are going 20 mph faster than their actual speed.
Yes, he definitely should have known better. Red is his favorite color. As it is mine.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 01:31:22 AM »
Three cheers for Deathsled Dad!   

My late 93 year old Uncle Larry was legally blind, but still had a license up until age 91 (with the same eye condition.) He had a trick to fool the DMV.  How he read the eye chart was to go to the DMV the day before and (with his triple-thick monocular-glasses) memorize the 3 or 4 charts (it was a small DMV.) The next day, he'd recite them perfectly, while pretending to read them for the exam.

On family get-togethers, he always offered to drive us at night, because he said the outside looked the same to him as during daylight. We all laughed, but he could drive damn well.

Then, one year,  he got tricked at the DMV because they made him read a new chart, after they suspected he was somehow cheating (his seeing eye dog might have given him away.) He lost his license then and there.

The next day, he of course was still driving his car.  "I'm 91. What the hell are they going to do to me?"  But, his son made him sell it.

So, Uncle Larry bought a golf cart and drove it, with his dog, everywhere including into the local supermarket to do his shopping. Yes, INTO the supermarket, down the aisles.  A full-size gasoline golf cart.  I'm not kidding.

"What's the difference between my cart and one of those old people scooters?" he'd ask anyone who tried to tell him he can't drive a golf cart inside the store. 

As far as I know, he never got kicked out. He'd put his handicapped parking placard on the rearview mirror as a joke, while in the store. He liked to bang into someone's shopping cart and ask "Is this handicapped parking?"

He was a character.  We miss him a lot.  I'll bet he and Deathsled Dad would've had a crazy-fun Cannonball run together. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 01:36:29 AM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 08:31:51 AM »
Great memories for you Van. Thanks for sharing! It's not easy hanging up one's car keys and your Uncle Larry and my father are exemplary of this. I sometimes wonder how I will react should I live so long. One never knows.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »
Uncle Larry is my kinda guy, he adapted, improvised and overcame all his obstacles ( probably didn't complain either )

Let's just do this and do this now.

Everytime I lost one of my uncles or older friends I would say, that material was irreplaceable. The quality, experience, strength, drive, dedication and patriotism is not found in todays (rarely) folks.

Enjoy them and learn while we still have them

Three cheers for Deathsled Dad!   

My late 93 year old Uncle Larry was legally blind, but still had a license up until age 91 (with the same eye condition.) He had a trick to fool the DMV.  How he read the eye chart was to go to the DMV the day before and (with his triple-thick monocular-glasses) memorize the 3 or 4 charts (it was a small DMV.) The next day, he'd recite them perfectly, while pretending to read them for the exam.

On family get-togethers, he always offered to drive us at night, because he said the outside looked the same to him as during daylight. We all laughed, but he could drive damn well.

Then, one year,  he got tricked at the DMV because they made him read a new chart, after they suspected he was somehow cheating (his seeing eye dog might have given him away.) He lost his license then and there.

The next day, he of course was still driving his car.  "I'm 91. What the hell are they going to do to me?"  But, his son made him sell it.

So, Uncle Larry bought a golf cart and drove it, with his dog, everywhere including into the local supermarket to do his shopping. Yes, INTO the supermarket, down the aisles.  A full-size gasoline golf cart.  I'm not kidding.

"What's the difference between my cart and one of those old people scooters?" he'd ask anyone who tried to tell him he can't drive a golf cart inside the store. 

As far as I know, he never got kicked out. He'd put his handicapped parking placard on the rearview mirror as a joke, while in the store. He liked to bang into someone's shopping cart and ask "Is this handicapped parking?"

He was a character.  We miss him a lot.  I'll bet he and Deathsled Dad would've had a crazy-fun Cannonball run together.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 11:47:38 AM »
My late 93 year old Uncle Larry was legally blind, but still had a license up until age 91
My mom was legally blind in one eye. She had to go to DMV every year to do the eye test and renew her license. One year the lady at the counter told her if she signed a form that stated she knew she was legally blind she could renew her license for 5 years. Gotta love CA. She passed away at 95 but hadn't driven for a couple years. She started driving at 14 and never had a ticket. She had 1 accident when she got rear ended in our 1955 2 door Plymouth station wagon - try to find one of those today.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 04:45:44 PM »

You know some guy posted about those speed demons from dodge not to long ago.......S.D.A.C. Shelby Dodge Automobile Club

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=21627.0

Dodge Caravans reminds me of driving to the SEMA show in Vegas cruising along about 80mph when I was twice passed by women in Dodge Caravans passing me doing 90 or so with kids inside. Talk about women drivers. As I type this I'm listening to a car go by bouncing off the rev limiter, a daily or should I say almost hourly occurrence around here.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.