News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

69 GT350 starter

Started by aboss4tg, March 18, 2023, 04:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

430dragpack

This starter is the original off of a '69 Grande, 351w, automatic, built in February at the San Jose plant, and is dated January 17th, 1969. The C3OF-A nose cone was the only small block, automatic cone to be made until the D0OF-A came in 1970 and then the D2AF cones later. 

J_Speegle

Quote from: 430dragpack on March 20, 2023, 09:04:35 AM
This starter is the original off of a '69 Grande, 351w, automatic, built in February at the San Jose plant, and is dated January 17th, 1969. The C3OF-A nose cone was the only small block, automatic cone to be made until the D0OF-A came in 1970 and then the D2AF cones later.

Looks like someone has been doing some homework :) Thanks for sharing and hope/expect it will help others
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Harris Speedster

Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 19, 2023, 10:03:23 PM
Quote from: 430dragpack on March 19, 2023, 10:01:50 PM
I would expect to see an AUTOLITE starter die stamped with C7AF-11001-B followed by a date code that corresponds/would pre-date the build date of your car.   As Bob stated, it is probably one of the most common starters of there era because it fit several engine across several years.
That one would be for 67 and 68.

Bob,
would this same number be what I need for my Nov 1st  66 build 350 ?
Thanks
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 21, 2023, 10:38:47 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on March 19, 2023, 10:03:23 PM
Quote from: 430dragpack on March 19, 2023, 10:01:50 PM
I would expect to see an AUTOLITE starter die stamped with C7AF-11001-B followed by a date code that corresponds/would pre-date the build date of your car.   As Bob stated, it is probably one of the most common starters of there era because it fit several engine across several years.
That one would be for 67 and 68.

Bob,
would this same number be what I need for my Nov 1st  66 build 350 ?
Thanks
John
No. The outside will appear the same but identification be different and will not be metal stamped . 65 until later 67 had a ink stamped identification.  In your case the starter would typically be still ink stamped . The NOV 1st build date is early enough that it may still use the previous year ID number or the  C7-B number.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SCJSTU

I went thru this last year on my 69 GT350 4 speed.....nose cones are different for an auto vs 4 speed right?

I had to switch mine from the rebuilt orig starter I got from All Classic Motors
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SCJSTU on March 21, 2023, 01:59:13 PM
I went thru this last year on my 69 GT350 4 speed.....nose cones are different for an auto vs 4 speed right?

I had to switch mine from the rebuilt orig starter I got from All Classic Motors
Right. FYI 4 speed vs. auto nose cone difference starting in 1968 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

BoB,
As always thanks for your knowledge on the starter for the nov 1st 67.
Question about the ink stamp, who might produce the best repop ink stamp or decal, I prefer ink stamp.
I imagine the date code would prohibit a decal?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The C 3 nose cone pictured is a 63 up to 68, if I read correctly.
I have many starters and alternators , coopers and my own, decades worth of the old ones, most autolite.
I am getting ready to offer a bunch of parts, and don't want to get rid of anything that is correct for the Shelby.

I have a noise cone with the number C6OF _ A with a large 2 besides it.
Correct or put in the pile to sell.
Thanks,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

430dragpack

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 23, 2023, 09:31:46 AM
BoB,
As always thanks for your knowledge on the starter for the nov 1st 67.
Question about the ink stamp, who might produce the best repop ink stamp or decal, I prefer ink stamp.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The C 3 nose cone pictured is a 63 up to 68, if I read correctly.
I have many starters and alternators , coopers and my own, decades worth of the old ones, most autolite.
I am getting ready to offer a bunch of parts, and don't want to get rid of anything that is correct for the Shelby.

I have a noise cone with the number C6OF _ A with a large 2 besides it.
Correct or put in the pile to sell.
Thanks,
John

The C3OF-A nose cone was used until the D0OF-A nose cone replaced it sometime in the 1970 model year.  The C3 cone is used with small block automatic transmissions and a small block, manual transmission flywheel that is small diameter, like used in Mustangs prior to 1968. Some '65-'66 small block Galaxies used the large diameter manual transmission flywheel and they used the C5TF-A nose cone, which was used on large diameter manual transmissions flywheels in later Mustangs.

The C6OF-A nose cone is for '66-'67, 170cid and 200cid engines with manual trans. only.
Chris

J_Speegle

Quote from: Harris Speedster on March 23, 2023, 09:31:46 AM
...............................Question about the ink stamp, who might produce the best repop ink stamp or decal, I prefer ink stamp.

The ink stamps on the starters were installed on the assembly line into 68 production. The "reproduction" decal for this isn't even close and likely copied from a service piece. Yes the originals were date coded.  Will send a PM  :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Blackcar

This came on a complete 69 351W the nose cone is a C5TF-A

430dragpack

Quote from: Blackcar on March 23, 2023, 08:43:17 PM

Yep, that's the correct nose cone for that C7AF-F, small block, large flywheel, manual transmission starter.  Almost a correct date code for a '69 BOSS 302.
Good piece.
Chris

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Blackcar on March 23, 2023, 08:43:17 PM
It has been my experienced that the 4 speed nose cone is very hard to find.

Blackcar

Bob, how is the BM of the date interpreted ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Blackcar on March 23, 2023, 09:52:48 PM
Bob, how is the BM of the date interpreted ?
The B in the date sequence typically stands for shift. I have 4 other C7-B starters stamped on the shelf of various 68 date codes and all of the ones that I currently have are B shift. I don't currently have a C7-F stamped barrel to compare to. I don't remember for sure what the M stood for however with all of the mix up problems Ford had with the specific 4 speed Mustang starters starting in 68 (164 tooth) I wouldn't be surprised if it stood for "manual" . The 4 speed vs. auto starter confusion problem still continues to this day . I don't know how many times I have had to coach auto parts store personal and enthusiast alike.