Author Topic: Exhaust system finish  (Read 805 times)

Peter L.

• View Profile
Exhaust system finish
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:34:18 PM »
  Hello all. Getting ready to install the original exhaust back on my KR. Mufflers and pipes are very solid, but after over 50 years they obviously have plenty of surface rust.
 Looking for ideas/suggestions. Not going the concours route, but want the exhaust to look fresh again. I would like to apply some kind of finish to preserve it. Perhaps a chemical cleaning and a high heat mat clear. Maybe a natural steel paint?
  Any past experience or ideas would be very much appreciated.
                                        Thanks, Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust system finish
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »
  Hello all. Getting ready to install the original exhaust back on my KR. Mufflers and pipes are very solid, but after over 50 years they obviously have plenty of surface rust.
 Looking for ideas/suggestions. Not going the concours route, but want the exhaust to look fresh again. I would like to apply some kind of finish to preserve it. Perhaps a chemical cleaning and a high heat mat clear. Maybe a natural steel paint?
  Any past experience or ideas would be very much appreciated.
                                        Thanks, Pete.
Best to get as much rust and scale off first. Given the parameters of your request relatively speaking there are not many options IMO. After surface prep I would go over with a good high temp stainless steel paint. High temp clear does not last as long and does not cover imperfections compared to the high temp stainless steel . This is not for concours but of course if you were doing that you would be starting with fresh new anyway.  If doing exhaust manifolds use a cast iron high temp paint finish. Just my 2 cents.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »
Big bath of Evapo Rust is a good start. I lined a long rectangular box with drop cloth plastic from Home Depot to do my driveshaft.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Peter L.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 04:24:31 PM »
  Thanks Bob, the high temp stainless steel paint sounds like the way to go. I'm trying to use as many of the original pieces from this car as I can. While the shiny new reproduction parts might be nice, they are just that...reproduction.
          Thanks again, Pete.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
Basically remove the rust you can, "kill" the rust you can't then treat as you choose to reduce the chances of it returning sooner than later

Good luck with the tasks and your efforts
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 09:42:02 PM »
Big bath of Evapo Rust is a good start. I lined a long rectangular box with drop cloth plastic from Home Depot to do my driveshaft.

Strong second on the EvapORust bath.  Soak shop rags wrapped around pipe for days and days.  Then hand cleaning with Scotch pad (red) then decided if you want raw finish or coated.