Author Topic: Cotter Pin orientation question  (Read 691 times)

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Cotter Pin orientation question
« on: March 18, 2023, 05:35:20 PM »
I am replacing the steering components on my 68 GT350 and just wondering if there is a preferred orientation of the cotter pins?  Do they bend up over the end of the threaded stud or side to side around the castellated nut?

If they are supposed to bend up over the end of the threaded stud do you just bend one tang of the cotter pin and leave the other straight or what do you do with the other tang?

Thank you,

Corey

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Cotter Pin orientation question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 05:49:02 PM »
I am replacing the steering components on my 68 GT350 and just wondering if there is a preferred orientation of the cotter pins?  Do they bend up over the end of the threaded stud or side to side around the castellated nut?

If they are supposed to bend up over the end of the threaded stud do you just bend one tang of the cotter pin and leave the other straight or what do you do with the other tang?

Thank you,

Corey
I have seen them with one bent over the top of the stud and the other tang slightly bent down and cut short and others that were not cut . Of course the cotter pin is right diameter and not a too long one to begin with depending on the location. AMK sells them. The shop manual has some pictures and illustrations in the many how to sections .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 06:32:27 PM »
Like Bob said but exception for nj cars is strut arm to control arm bolts. Both wrap around side of bolt

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 06:51:28 PM »
Thank you both!