Author Topic: SAAC members - shipping is as much part of the deal as payment  (Read 4153 times)

Bossgold

• View Profile
SAAC Forum Members

Recently, I have purchased several items from members on this site. I bought something from Bob Gaines and the whole process was perfect. Better than expected item, easy to work with, Item was packed very well and it was a great transaction. Thanks Bob

THen I purchased another Item from a member and in short - He has my money and the shipping has been  a complete mess. No sense of urgency, No dicussion on how to resolve the issue of missing parts from a crushed box - nothing.

I bring this to remind everyone on how this works:

1. Buyer - Purchase an Item and pay promptly - period - whether its PaYPAL friends/family, Postal money order, or other methods

2. Delivery of Item - Shipping is expensive today so agree on the approach ( size, weight, insurance while packaging) , insurance is expensive and most importantly....  PLEASE pack it likes its your own  PROPERTY

3. Sellers and Shipping Problems :  Sellers do the business with USPS, UPS, Fedex and others. The buyer has no recourse because seller owns the process/insurance/item recovery. A buyer cant really do the leg work cause the seller has the tracking receipt, common sense

4. Urgency - you have the buyers money, the buyer did not recieve the promised goods.....so move on a resolution and not when its convient for you the seller

5.  My rule of thumb : if a 200 pound man can't stand on the box then all bets are off - Period. Remember, once a seller takes the buyers money that property is now the buyers....not the sellers. So treat it like its yours when completing the delivery. USPS/UPS/FEDex will screw it up its not a question of how but when. And this whole insurance stuff is just a big scam....so pack well.

I am going through a situation right now that is just void of common sense. The member might read this which I hope he does. Please don't tell me that you packed it well when the box is split open and half the parts are missing....its really insulting.

Thanks for listening to my rant. More to follow - trust me

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
Re: SAAC members - shipping is as much part of the deal as payment
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 09:42:21 AM »
And pay attention to the shipper's advice.   We had a family member who decided to pack glassware in a box.  They hardly packed it at all, just some newspaper between each plate and things like that.  When they took it to the local pack-it-Ship-it place, the shipper took one look in the box and said "For $X we will pack this with bubble wrap and packing peanuts so it should make the trip".  Our family member refused.  Then complained when most of the contents showed up at the destination, broken. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 11:06:08 AM »
What did you buy?

How much was it?

What was missing or broken?

Did you pay for shipping insurance?

Do you have photo's of the box damage?

Without facts your post becomes a strawman argument.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 11:39:13 AM »
I will address these concerns like my EX BOSS would:

"I bring this to remind everyone on how this works:

1. Buyer - Purchase an Item and pay promptly - period - whether its PaYPAL friends/family, Postal money order, or other methods.

Yes pay as fast as you can...As far as PAYPAL FRIENDS AND FAMILY goes....I know SAAC people claim to all be one happy family, and now one would rip off anybody, BUT....using F&F you are asking to be ripped off. YOU HAVE NO RECOURSE. YOU BOUGHT IT. AND STILL MIGHT NOT HAVE IT.

2. Delivery of Item - Shipping is expensive today so agree on the approach ( size, weight, insurance while packaging) , insurance is expensive and most importantly....  PLEASE pack it likes its your own  PROPERTY

Yes we all hope people will pack well, I used to sometimes pack vintage stereo equipment and learned from the best at AudioClassics.com. BUT I have received turntables where a box just big enough was used with no prep handpicking material...Strange some have arrived in good condition. Example" GLASS can break, heavy metal like shifting rods, highly unlikely will get damaged...THINK like you have common sense.

3. Sellers and Shipping Problems :  Sellers do the business with USPS, UPS, Fedex and others. The buyer has no recourse because seller owns the process/insurance/item recovery. A buyer cant really do the leg work cause the seller has the tracking receipt, common sense

Every seller should supply a tracking number, my 2 cents. I don't know about all, but all mailing systems have an attitude and are not dependable. US mail especially.

4. Urgency - you have the buyers money, the buyer did not recieve the promised goods.....so move on a resolution and not when its convient for you the seller

Reason for DO NOT USE F&F with PayPal. Yes ship ASAP, I tend to box up when item is for sale.

5.  My rule of thumb : if a 200 pound man can't stand on the box then all bets are off - Period. Remember, once a seller takes the buyers money that property is now the buyers....not the sellers. So treat it like its yours when completing the delivery. USPS/UPS/FEDex will screw it up its not a question of how but when. And this whole insurance stuff is just a big scam....so pack well."

Yes. Perfect, pack well...Do not just place a part in a box, when if falls down a flight of stares, the momentum will possible bend, or break it.

My opinion, "The Ride" can and is pricey, but parts can be overpriced, do you really need to charge shipping for a 5,000.00 part that you probably got for $35.00? NO, and MAYBE in some instances. (example, a steering wheel, for the box size and the actuall cost, it just might sell faster if you offer free shipping.) LAST but not LEAST....DONOT TAKE AN ITEM TO A PACK AND MAIL, adds to cost to ship, there are many dirty secrets, example, they pack like SHOOT.

One man's opinion.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 01:29:08 PM »
Remember - there is no Free Shipping! An items price may include shipping but it will be at the cheapest rate the seller can find. The smaller/lighter the box the cheaper the rate so seller has an incentive to pack poorly if he's eating the shipping. Unless it specifically states insurance included it won't be until you pay extra. I always get paid by a US Postal Money order. When it arrives I go to the PO to cash it and mail the item at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:42:31 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 04:04:56 PM »
Another thing to consider is not putting payment into your account before shipping an item because something could happen to you before  the item gets sent, like you die for whatever reason. I usually go to FedEx or wherever and send the item then go to my car and take a picture of the receipt and send it to the buyer and then tell PayPal to send the money to my account or go and cash the check. If I'm expecting payment by mail or I'm going to pay someone money once I receive something I would leave instructions with my wife how to handle things if I was going to leave town before a transaction was completed, that way I tried to cover all situations to the best of my ability.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 04:47:22 PM »
Joe,
This is what I do:
1-Never ship anything until the funds clear!
2-I always ship with the full insurance cost the buyer paid for the item.
3-I always over pack with bubble wrap/peanuts/etc. Small items, or fragile items get double boxed.
4-Take pictures. Text (or email) the proof of the paid shipping with the tracking.
5-Always answer questions fairly, accurate, and with kindness to any buyers concerns.
6-I always sell with the disclosure "SOLD AS-IS' in bold caps.
7-Yes, there are jerks, scammers, and idiots who are annoying...it happens. This is why I refer back to the first comment.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:50:14 PM by crossboss »
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bossgold

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 05:28:03 PM »
Joe,
This is what I do:
3-I always over pack with bubble wrap/peanuts/etc. Small items, or fragile items get double boxed.
4-Take pictures. Text (or email) the proof of the paid shipping with the tracking.
5-Always answer questions fairly, accurate, and with kindness to any buyers concerns.
7-Yes, there are jerks, scammers, and idiots who are annoying...it happens. This is why I refer back to the first comment.

Scott, Yes as a buyer I pay promptly, I aways ask how the shipping will be setup and I stated three times to please ship it properly. I also look at an item and if for example its a hood trim molding I will usually send my own shipping tube/box at my cost with the return label back to me. Some of this stuff is so rare its hard to replace so I try really hard to make it super easy.  So, you know me weve been doing this a while. Its the sense of urgency, and the obvious pictures from the post office that show it was not packed well...thats all. Take care of it, you have the buyers money....so resolve the issue. Treat a buyers experience how you would want to be treated....thats all. Maybe I'm crazy but I do expect more out of Forum members...this aint FB or craigslist

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 08:46:16 PM »
Joe,
This is what I do:

Scott, Yes as a buyer I pay promptly, I aways ask how the shipping will be setup and I stated three times to please ship it properly. I also look at an item and if for example its a hood trim molding I will usually send my own shipping tube/box at my cost with the return label back to me. Some of this stuff is so rare its hard to replace so I try really hard to make it super easy.  So, you know me weve been doing this a while. Its the sense of urgency, and the obvious pictures from the post office that show it was not packed well...thats all. Take care of it, you have the buyers money....so resolve the issue. Treat a buyers experience how you would want to be treated....thats all. Maybe I'm crazy but I do expect more out of Forum members...this aint FB or craigslist

Joe,
I absolutely agree. When I buy stuff (like you) I/we expect to be treated as if we are long time friends. Unfortunately 'some' people don't give a $hi! and take the money and run. We would expect members on here (and the Boss site) to be upstanding guys. I do hope in your situation it gets resolved!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

nctrucks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 11:36:16 PM »
This might be off topic.  For saving on shipping cost. I ship everything through www.Pirateship.com  Sometimes savings over 50% from UPS site quote.  Just sent a Toploader in a wood box weighing 140lbs  from Ca. to Mn.  Was $127 including insurance.

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 08:35:02 AM »
Was recently told by the UPS clerk that I can buy as much insurance as I want, but unless they pack it, it isn't valid!!!  news to me?

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 10:06:47 AM »
Was recently told by the UPS clerk that I can buy as much insurance as I want, but unless they pack it, it isn't valid!!!  news to me?

I think it's been that way for some years.  Within the last 7 years, my family member refused to allow the store to repack their poorly packed glassware.  Then they were not able to purchase insurance for breakage.  The family members actions resulted in most everything in the box, broken. And no coverage as they assumed the liability when they refused to pay the few $ for the UPS store to pack correctly.   

In 1971 we had to move twice within some 14 months.  Dad had returned from Nam, been assigned to Montana where we were for just over a year.  Then on to the Pentagon.  We had stored boxes of stuff like Christmas decorations in the basement.  Never unpacked from the late December move to Montana.  the moving company said they had to repack to insure the stuff.  Hey, the government is paying for the move, knock yourselves out.  They got new boxes and packing papers, opened each of the old boxes, removed the contents, carefully unwrapped and often just wrapped it back up and placed into their box.  Part of the process was to make sure the prior move hadn't busted stuff that they would then be on the hook for. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:11:49 AM by rhjanes »
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 11:40:05 AM »
Still waiting......

What did you buy?

How much was it?

What was missing or broken?

Did you pay for shipping insurance?

Do you have photo's of the box damage?

Without facts your post is a strawman argument.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 09:23:26 PM »
Who is sold you the piece in question?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 07:21:46 AM »
Years ago there was a guy in Hemmings, Alex Takasian (sp?) he would advertise all these parts from cars he was obviously taking apart to sell in bits

I bought a trunk lid and a front fender. We are talking easily 30 years ago so you can imagine how pissed I was to remember his name to this day

The items arrived in deplorable/unusuable condition. Packing couldn't be less secure. I can't imagine for the life of me how they could be so damaged. I reported it (was so obvious anyway) to the driver and a refund was give. TO ALEX

I finally found out his father worked at a law firm and called there. I got my refund.

I feel for you. I was more angry that original decades old rust free parts were destroyed by sheer laziness. I hope you get sorted

Peter