Author Topic: Pilot bearing  (Read 1042 times)

corbins

• View Profile
Pilot bearing
« on: March 22, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »
Replacing pilot bearing, got one of the rollorized ones. It does not want to fit flush to the crank? Is this normal ? Never used one before , always used the solid brass ones.
Thanks !

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Pilot bearing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 06:12:28 PM »
     Don't know which product you might be using (which engine or transmission  :-\) but most S.B.F. examples exhibit a flange that butts against the register ring in the crankshaft to control positioning and will not be "flush" with the back of the crankshaft and should work just fine.   ;)

Though, this assurance comes with the followup caveat statement of that any time one chooses to change the O.E.'s engineering to one of you own,..................that makes you the 'new' engineer, and responsible to establish proper application & fitment of what ever your endeavors' intention might be.   :o

Scott.

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 06:22:30 PM »
Use the rollerized one for a 5.0 HO. Worked great with my Boss 302.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:25:46 PM by crossboss »
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 06:36:31 PM »
Stick to the brass bushing

Why ?

Eventually will run dry, vibration issues, and after replacing everything else, we finally put a bushing back in and my vibration seems to be gone now.

Although mine wasn't in long enough to cause problems, when a pilot bearing goes bad, it ruins your input shaft, and can also ruin your flywheel, clutch and pressure plate.

Not worth it to me... there just isn't enough of a benefit by having one.

Some guys that run real high rpms also seem to prefer the brass bushing. Apparently the roller bearings over a time don't take too kindly to high rpms.

Also removing a failed roller bearing from the crank can be a tedious event

Enjoy
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 08:15:02 PM »
Thanks Guys ! Its a 428. I just dont like the fit and frankly, the needle bearings seem pretty cheap.
Think I'm just gonna get it out and go with bronze solid one. Appreciate the input !!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 08:31:59 PM »
Thanks Guys ! Its a 428. I just dont like the fit and frankly, the needle bearings seem pretty cheap.
Think I'm just gonna get it out and go with bronze solid one. Appreciate the input !!

Bronze has been the standard since Fred Flintstones been driving.....time tested and proven

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 09:05:41 PM »
Thanks Guys ! Its a 428.

Well in that case you have someones' conversion bushing/sleeve in order to take the crankshaft recess bore from the 1.850" down to the outer shell O.D. dimension for the bearing as the roller bearing was not utilized in FE's (to the best of my knowledge anyway!), so this injects additional concerns for proper fitment as you've just added another "new" engineer into the mix.   :-\

But proper positioning of this still shouldn't be difficult to establish with relatively simple measurement comparisons of the depth from the back of the bellhousing (that surface which the face of the transmission butts again as installed) as bolted up to the back of the block (bellhousing) inward to the bearing face, this as compared to the measured distance from the face of the transmission (were it butts up to the bellhousing as installed) to the end of the input-shafts' clutch disc splines and then to the end of the pilot shaft section, these dimensional comparisons will provide for were the relationship would be.   ;)

As far as the roller bearing (a good one!  ::)) being unreliable, well I think if one just reviews what has been being installed in O.E.M. production vehicles since the early '80's, ..............I don't think you'll find any "sintered bronze bushings" having been used!  If you do choose to utilize the bronze unit, do be sure to check for any excessive misalignment in the transmission to engine crankshaft (you should anyway!), as the bronze is less tolerant of this causing greater drag on the input shaft and this in turn causes a premature wear rate and loss of material in the bushing and a failure in function of its' duty of positively locate the input shaft this causing potential trans. shifting/gear engagement difficulties and excessive wear, even damage, this particularly noted at the intermediate bearing juncture;)!   :o

Bronze has been the standard since Fred Flintstones been driving.....time tested and proven

And exactly why it was replaced by the roller bearing unit!   And, most failure instances with the roller bearings is resultant from improper installation procedures, this as far as I have witnessed anyway.   ;)

Scott.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:08:24 PM by pbf777 »

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 11:37:00 AM »

+ 1 More reliable
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 04:14:55 PM »
as an FYI on topic of pilot bearing........I just had to replace mine on my 69 GT350 4 speed...

There was a 'rattling' sound coming what appeared to be from engine.......same sound as what a idler pulley makes when bearing goes bad.....turns out pilot bearing worn out
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 08:34:28 PM »
as an FYI on topic of pilot bearing........I just had to replace mine on my 69 GT350 4 speed...

There was a 'rattling' sound coming what appeared to be from engine.......same sound as what a idler pulley makes when bearing goes bad.....turns out pilot bearing worn out

On answer # 5 that guy said something similar

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy