News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Best replacement leaf springs for 66 GT350?

Started by mtdubvee, March 25, 2023, 07:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtdubvee

What are the best replacement leaf springs for a 66 GT350? Seems to be many choices but I want some as close as possible to the stock style. I know 4 leaf but they seem to have too many choices. Trying to keep ride height the same.

Thanks
Matt
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

mikeh

www.eatondetroitspring.com/

I know a lot of people have used these FWIW, now whether they are the best choice for a 66 Shelby I don't know. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than myself will chime in!

Mike

Shawn

Royce Peterson

The best springs are the originals. They can be rebuilt and re - arched by a spring shop. My experience with the Eaton Detroit springs has been dreadful.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

csxsfm

Coralsnake

Buy the correct Eaton springs from NPD and save the ID leaves from the originals.

If you want to put replace them on the new springs that is probably your best option.

If you dont want to take apart the new springs, let the new owner have the option of using the original numbers off the originals

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 25, 2023, 10:02:30 AM
The best springs are the originals. They can be rebuilt and re - arched by a spring shop. My experience with the Eaton Detroit springs has been dreadful.
I had them re-arc their New springs I bought at NPD. They got the height I wanted off of measurements I took compared to assy manual heights which my Eatons were at. I dropped them off. Drove around Detroit for about an hour and picked them up.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

sg66

Virginia Mustang has the springs that look the same. They are built to a 67 spec to be generic for many cars. For a 66, plan to have a spring shop de-arch them 3/4 - 1" https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=7091.15

GT350DAVE

I bought rear replacement springs from Virginia Mustang and they were way too soft. I ended up putting the originals back in the car.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

mtdubvee

So basically there is no easy direct replacement lol.

I've got the originals but a couple are broke. Customer is wanting to get the car on the road asap.
SFM 5S123

SFM 5S269

1967 GT350 #41 Raven Black 4 Speed

shelbydoug

Quote from: mtdubvee on March 25, 2023, 03:40:41 PM
So basically there is no easy direct replacement lol.

I've got the originals but a couple are broke. Customer is wanting to get the car on the road asap.

It gets complicated really fast.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

sg66

Quote from: GT350DAVE on March 25, 2023, 03:39:15 PM
I bought rear replacement springs from Virginia Mustang and they were way too soft. I ended up putting the originals back in the car.
Dave
I did mine about 8 years ago and at the time VA was sourcing them from John R Spring http://www.johnrspring.com/leafsprings.html

At the time, JR Spring told me they were the 42-437 spec (page 32) intended for a heavier 67/68 http://springresearch.org/pdf/volume_17.pdf

Maybe something changed if you did yours at a different time?

67 GT350

Quote from: mtdubvee on March 25, 2023, 07:17:31 AM
What are the best replacement leaf springs for a 66 GT350? Seems to be many choices but I want some as close as possible to the stock style. I know 4 leaf but they seem to have too many choices. Trying to keep ride height the same.

Thanks
Matt

Could not agree more! It is almost impossible to buy parts today, you do not know what you are getting....now it seems like there are good, better, and best parts to buy and most you cannot even begin to know.
Where is a good place to just buy parts on line for Shelbys, and Mustangs? A place that just sells the bestest quality and correct parts....
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67 GT350 on March 26, 2023, 08:28:18 PM
Quote from: mtdubvee on March 25, 2023, 07:17:31 AM

Thanks
Matt

Could not agree more! It is almost impossible to buy parts today, you do not know what you are getting....now it seems like there are good, better, and best parts to buy and most you cannot even begin to know.
Where is a good place to just buy parts on line for Shelbys, and Mustangs? A place that just sells the bestest quality and correct parts....
There is not one best place to buy IMO. You could narrow it down to mostly 3 IMO. Even then you have to buy informed because of the choice alternatives. That is why a forum like this is invaluable for helping determine the best alternatives so a buyer can make a informed decision for what is best for them.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Corey Bowcutt

Bob,

Are you going to share your top 3?

Corey