Author Topic: Neutral Safety Switch Wiring?  (Read 910 times)

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Neutral Safety Switch Wiring?
« on: March 25, 2023, 07:48:16 PM »
The wiring for my neutral safety switch from the pigtails on the firewall to the transmission should be secured somehow, but I can't find a photo of where the wiring harness is attached. Can someone please help. Thanks in advance, Denny

1969shelbygt350

• View Profile
Re: Neutral Safety Switch Wiring?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 07:58:54 PM »
Let me see in the morning if I can take you a picture or two

Paul

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 06:19:33 PM »
Thanks Paul a couple good photos would really help.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 07:15:52 PM »
The loom that connects to the neutral safety switch is typically (all the ones I've seen) through the retaining strap to the inside of the firewall location with the other loom. On Mustangs the wire, after passing or being held by the plastic strap then traveled to a plastic S clip attached to the firewall to cowl seam. The same S clips used for the windshield washer hose. Since the Mustangs being built for Shelby had the export brace and cowl support these cars didn't used that S clip and as a result had a bit more slack in the neutral safety wire and I'm not aware they did anything to deal with this on any regular basis.   Focusing on your cars production period at Ford I found a number of examples in my files of cars with in a couple of hundred numbers of your Shelby number. Does not appear that the workers always routed the wires in front or behind the throttle arm as both have been documented

Hope this helps. If we need more examples just ask

* Edited for clarity and correctness
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 04:11:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 02:04:42 PM »
Hi Jeff, your photos were a big help to me. So, after the initial retaining strap at the firewall, is there any other retaining clips or straps anywhere from there to the transmission itself? Just left dangling?  Thanks

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 02:08:14 PM »
There's usually another clip at the bellhousing and I have also seen a J-clip above and to the right of the switch... goes on the same bolt that attaches the vent tube.

Without these 2 additional clips, likely going to burn up the wiring on the headers/exhaust.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 04:07:47 PM »
Hi Jeff, your photos were a big help to me. So, after the initial retaining strap at the firewall, is there any other retaining clips or straps anywhere from there to the transmission itself? Just left dangling?  Thanks

Didn't find any pictures showing a clip at the transmission though they may have used one for some time period but I don't recall one in 66 - always learning  :) Most often I've found that the wire was simply routed between the vent tube and the case taking some of the slack up and directing the wire up and towards the center of the car.

Here are a couple of examples of the clip at the engine to bellhousing seam on the passenger side

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6S1568

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 09:41:02 PM »
Thank you very much gentlemen, I'll see if I can find the additional clip.