News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Top loader tail shaft housing needed for BB

Started by BeaterGT500, March 31, 2023, 02:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeaterGT500

I need a tail shaft housing for a top loader from a 390 Mustang or Cougar with the 28 spline output shaft.  Somehow I have a small block tail housing on an otherwise big block trans.  Other than buying a new aluminum one from DK, anyone holding one?
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Rickmustang

1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

kram350

You can machine the small block tail housing to fit the large input. 

430dragpack

Quote from: kram350 on April 02, 2023, 09:31:34 PM

Not exactly sure what you're saying here.  A 390 Mustang/Cougar transmission has a small input shaft and the small 28 spline output shaft, unlike 428/429, which is big input shaft and 31 spline output. Yes, a person can machine a small output shaft tail housing to the larger 31 spline output shaft, but the input shaft has nothing to do with the output shaft/housing.   I'm assuming the OP has a small block tail housing which the only shifter mount is at the rear of the tail housing, unlike the 390 tail housing which has two shifter mounting areas, and can use the adapter plate for the 390 Mustang/Cougar application when using the original shifter and no mounting plate when used in a Fairlane/Torino.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kram350 on April 02, 2023, 09:31:34 PM
I think a typo . Probably meant big output .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kram350

Yes, it is the output shaft we are speaking of, but I was thinking more as a machinist as you have to input the yoke into the housing after machining it to fit the yoke bushing and seal. It's not a fun project irt setup and cast iron filings are a mess. 

BeaterGT500

I know it sounds confusing.  What I have is a rebuilt big input shaft gearbox for the 428, which is fine.  The problem is the tail shaft is 28 spline and has the small block tail housing with shifter mount at the very end.  I need the big block tail housing for the 28 spline output shaft, with the shifter mount farther forward.  Can't find one anywhere, only option I can find is a new aluminum one from David Kee but so far I've had zero luck getting an answer by calling and emailing them.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

CSX4781

Sent you a PM, I believe I have what you need.

Dave

430dragpack

The C6OR-7A040-C or the C7OR-7A040-A casting numbered tail housings is what he should need, as long as they haven't been machined out.

FL SAAC

Call Danny he has all the parts and knowledge that you will ever need and then some

Unlike other places that may be to busy and don't answer their phones or return calls

Best time to contact him is after 1:00 pm
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

CSX4781

I found two extension housings in the barn, both a C7OR-A and a C6OR-C, both for the 28 spline yoke. Sent you a PM with a link to my Google photos album with pictures of them.

Dave

BDT 739

Quote from: FL SAAC on April 04, 2023, 05:29:42 PM
Call Danny he has all the parts and knowledge that you will ever need and then some

Unlike other places that may be to busy and don't answer their phones or return calls

I rebuilt my S1 transmission using Dan Williams parts last year. He was stated how hard it was to get people to work. Looking at his website lately I am not sure he is still in business? Heck of a nice guy.

FL SAAC

Quote from: BDT 739 on April 04, 2023, 07:12:29 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on April 04, 2023, 05:29:42 PM

I rebuilt my S1 transmission using Dan Williams parts last year. He was stated how hard it was to get people to work. Looking at his website lately I am not sure he is still in business? Heck of a nice guy.

Danny is definitely still in business as I have been purchasing parts for our T.L. for the last several weeks.

Again one of the few people that actually answers the phone and takes time to talk, explain, guide, give advice / recommendations or talk whats on your or his mind
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

BeaterGT500

Gotta love this group, thanks for the assist and I have solved the problem thanks to you guys!