News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Steering wheel 3 hole rare?

Started by tomhawk, April 02, 2023, 12:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomhawk

Have owned several early GT350s over the years. Including 1 65. Also have a few spare parts. I have this 65 3 hole wheel that I may put in my current car a 66 Hertz. Would this still be safe to use or just stay with my original wheel? This wheel looks better in the car, I see they are reproduced now for around 2,000. Would the originals be worth more? Just asking. If I dont use it may move it. Of course it needs a restoration.  Thanks

98SVT - was 06GT

I have one that was broken in a crash. The top broke off - didn't bend. It has the diecast adapter. I've thought about repairing it and getting the wood redone.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

If you use the 65 wheel in your 66 you will not have a horn unless you hook up a auxiliary switch like on a 65.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tomhawk

Thought about that. I dont want to drill an extra hole in the dash for a toggle. May just try to trade out for a 66 optional wood wheel.

427hunter

Quote from: tomhawk on April 02, 2023, 08:11:53 PM
Thought about that. I dont want to drill an extra hole in the dash for a toggle. May just try to trade out for a 66 optional wood wheel.

How is your wheel market? maker? wheel style name?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

tomhawk

As far as I know early Wheels were not embossed by manufacture. Have owned a few over the years, none had a makers mark. Maybe someone on the forum would know who made the early wheels. Was on Shelby Restoration Parts website. Has the new remake pictured. They did a real good job as far as the holes and rivet location. Nice wheel. Looks close to my vintage wheel. MY wheel has the bolt pattern that fits the hub Branda currently sells.

427hunter

Quote from: tomhawk on April 03, 2023, 01:41:34 PM
As far as I know early Wheels were not embossed by manufacture. Have owned a few over the years, none had a makers mark. Maybe someone on the forum would know who made the early wheels. Was on Shelby Restoration Parts website. Has the new remake pictured. They did a real good job as far as the holes and rivet location. Nice wheel. Looks close to my vintage wheel. MY wheel has the bolt pattern that fits the hub Branda currently sells.

That's interesting, 66/67 are all marked.
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

CSX4781

Hey Tom,
  I shot you an email.

Thanks,
Dave

tomhawk

Thanks Dave, Gave me some answers I was looking for.   Tom