Author Topic: Possible to avoid duty tax returning restored item to owner in Canada?  (Read 946 times)

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I helped restore a carburetor for a fellow owner in Canada recently.  It's a hipo carb, so quite valuable.  If I declare the true worth for insurance, I assume I'll have to declare that as the value also.

Is it possible for the owner of this carb to avoid paying taxes to have something they already own sent back to them?

Can't see anywhere on USPS or other forms to call that out.  It's not really a gift.

Thanks
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

jk66gt350

• View Profile
My understanding is that what is supposed to be declared is the value of the restoration service vs the value of the restored carb.  Makes no sense to tax someone for something that is theirs.  I've had parts restored in the US and sent back to Canada, and the value of the restoration work only was declared, and I have never had an issue.  Whether tax or import fees are actually payable usually depends on the shipping service.  Always if a courier is used / not usually for USPS Priority (my experience). 

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Great, that makes sense, thanks!
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Ask yourself what did you do to the item ?

Restore it

What is a fair value then?

Labor
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

SHELB66

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
What would happen, heaven forbid, if the carb gets lost or severely damaged during shipment?  What coverage, if any, kicks in at this point?

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
What would happen, heaven forbid, if the carb gets lost or severely damaged during shipment?  What coverage, if any, kicks in at this point?

Craig R.

Exactly! What did you declare as the value/insurance on the shipping? That IS the number they will use as the tax value. It 'may' be declared on any duty from your shipping carrier as mentioned. It kinda sounds like a roll of the dice IF you have to pay any duty tax(?).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 11:39:09 AM by crossboss »
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

jk66gt350

• View Profile
Insurance value can be different / more than the declared value of the declared service provided.  That was the case when I had my carb restored in the US. 

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Insurance value can be different / more than the declared value of the declared service provided.  That was the case when I had my carb restored in the US.

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
What ever you do, do not send it back to him via UPS.  They will absolutely rape him on customs, and I mean they will pound him hard on the charges.  Trust me I know.  Send it USPS with tracking and it'll get to Canada just fine.   I only want to get my shipments to Canada sent via USPS.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

jk66gt350

• View Profile
+1  Courier brokerage fees + customs + taxes can be stupid expensive.  Use USPS with insurance and tracking if at all possible. 

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Possible to avoid duty tax returning restored item to owner in Canada?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 06:02:28 PM »

Speaking of which, holding fast are they?

Of note, for valuable stuff headed to CN, I prefer to ship to a US border address. Not always possible, but sure is nice for folks to pick up stuff in person.

jk66gt350

• View Profile
Re: Possible to avoid duty tax returning restored item to owner in Canada?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2023, 07:14:54 PM »
Those old Holley 2 x 4's still look like new and ran great all last year.  I'm bringing the car out of hibernation this Sunday and expect more of the same this year.