News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 Engine Choice

Started by Rcbach302, April 05, 2023, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rcbach302

Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum. I purchased my firan original 68 GT350 convertible basket case. All original parts are there except engine/trans. I plan on doing a full and correct restoration, but with the drive train long gone, here is my question: In terms of value and resale, am I better off sourcing a date correct J code/T-10 or a more powerful and fun to drive 330 or 347/5spd set-up (my initial preference)? I do plan on keeping engine bay as stock as possible. Thanks!
1968 GT350 Convertible #3127

Coralsnake

You should probably start with a little more research

The 1968s do not use the T10 transmission  ???

In terms of resale, your choices are not likely to effect the value significantly
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Rcbach302

1968 GT350 Convertible #3127

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Rcbach302 on April 05, 2023, 04:26:46 PM
Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum. I purchased my firan original 68 GT350 convertible basket case. All original parts are there except engine/trans. I plan on doing a full and correct restoration, but with the drive train long gone, here is my question: In terms of value and resale, am I better off sourcing a date correct J code/T-10 or a more powerful and fun to drive 330 or 347/5spd set-up (my initial preference)? I do plan on keeping engine bay as stock as possible. Thanks!
Better off is a matter opinion and depends on your criteria. The 302 J code engine and transmission will probably be less money sourcing then the stroked engine and T10 .The stock engine and trans would be the safe bet as it relates to resale .  The most common question asked from Shelby buyers is how original is it which is something to consider when talking resale? In this case meaning the low performance 302 J code and toploader or C4 transmission . With that said the fun factor of the non original engine and transmission in this case may appeal to many. The seller would have the best chance of offsetting the modifications as for as resell value if engine visually kept stock looking under the hood. The modified engine and trans although fun would be more of a resale price gamble because of the original imperative that many put on theses cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Rcbach302 on April 05, 2023, 04:26:46 PM
Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum. I purchased my firan original 68 GT350 convertible basket case. All original parts are there except engine/trans. I plan on doing a full and correct restoration, but with the drive train long gone, ..............................

If your doing a "restoration" then IMHO you are limited in choices. Since you don't have the original drivetrain you are limited to finding another engine and trans dated as close to original ones as possible

If your not looking at restoring then the options are truly wide open
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Side-Oilers

Is this a car you'll be keeping for a long time, or is it a flip?

IMO: If a flip, then I'd recommend keeping it as stock as possible.  Appropriate 302 J-codes and transmissions aren't too hard to find.

If it's a keeper, then do whatever you like with the powertrain. You said that you don't have the originals anyway. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

WT6066-2600

If you decide to go the 302 J code path and share car build date/serial# & auto/4spd, I will check my spare J code drivetrain stuff.  Wish to pass these parts along sooner than later (meaning junk them),

Joe (J code owner of 40+ years)

Harris Speedster

Rcbach302,
History & Shelby owners tells us this.
Guys that modify an original Shelby, 99 % of the time >> keep the original parts they take off, including entire engines and transmissions.

Your case, you don't have either major component.
If you have millions, make it an Eleanor, modify and enjoy, but it is not an investment towards an original Shelby as built then .

Finding a complete J code engine and trans will not be any kind of a problem.
Either which way, please enjoy your journey, lots of guys here to help guide.ya !
Respectfully,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

OldMil

Both!  Get an engine in there so you can drive and enjoy the car.  Then you can take your time and source the correct date coded motor and parts.  Restore, keep on an engine stand, and swap if you want to go the original route.  Have fun!  Jack

98SVT - was 06GT

Build it how you want to - If you plan on driving it go big or go home. You don't want to be embarrassed by some 4 cyl econobox. If it's going to be a trailer queen go stock. If it's a keeper and you do go the "performance" route start buying up the correct date code stuff so you can do a show quality restoration in your old age.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

vtgt500

Interesting thread with many sound suggestions.  All I can offer is my own experience.  I owned a '68 with a 302 prepared using the period, Muscle Parts program. Built as the stage 5, Dominator kit. Advertised as 155 HP increase.  Essentially a 302 block, 351W 4V heads cut for GT40 valves, C90Z-6109 pop-up forged pistons,  Boss 302 balancer, dual point distributor, C7FE-6250-A "LeMans" cam. Rotating assembly was properly balanced.  The car was an absolute blast to drive. Easily lay waste to a 396 Camaro. Other than the tube headers and Holley carb, appeared stock. I am in the process of building a clone with an aluminum block. What's not to like about a Ford that turns heads and backs it up with impressive HP?

TA Coupe

Take that aluminum block and bore it to 4.125 with a 3.25 crank and you will have a nice 347ci motor that can rev to 8 grand if you want.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbymann1970

Food for thought: IF you car is a 4 speed then consider that finding the correct 4 speed smog heads and also a correct thermactor system will be really hard. I had that issue with mine because none of the 4 speed drivetrain was original. Car came with a date code correct block but automatic heads. I missed out on a smog system and decide a slightly modified route and used the automatic heads for a cleaner look and changed the color of my car to black and did well when I sold it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

WT6066-2600

Looks to have the heads and exhaust manifolds for an automatic (non-smog).

I will be picking up a 68 4spd J Code drivetrain (smog heads and exhaust manifolds) from a Metuchen built Mustang.  I have no need but couldn't let the parts go in the dumpster.  I will post what I get and make them available.