Author Topic: Rear brake shoes  (Read 1146 times)

Rocket

• View Profile
Rear brake shoes
« on: April 06, 2023, 12:06:57 PM »
Looking to buy a set of rear brake shoes for 6S550. These are the ones with the segmented linings. l have tried to call Jesse, but no nswer. if anyone knows a place to get a set, please let me know. Thanks, Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 12:39:54 PM »
Looking to buy a set of rear brake shoes for 6S550. These are the ones with the segmented linings. l have tried to call Jesse, but no nswer. if anyone knows a place to get a set, please let me know. Thanks, Ron
I have some recent rebuilt bonded segmented sets .PM me for more info.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 02:25:25 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 06:32:12 PM »

Bob,
Would these have the restoration details of the originals (65)?
-K/H 59843 3 pad bonded only,
-K/H 59845 4 pad bonded only,
see pic.

(Costella recently moved a lot of segmented rear shoes but they unfortunately were quite different from originals)
Thanks
Steve A

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 06:43:11 PM »
I have a set of rears and fronts. They were made using the same carbon based brake material that was used on the space shuttle brakes. Saleen was using the stuff on his race cars and the guy making those made some for my 66 Hertz. Stock look but much better material.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 10:00:01 PM »

Bob,
Would these have the restoration details of the originals (65)?
-K/H 59843 3 pad bonded only,
-K/H 59845 4 pad bonded only,
see pic.

(Costella recently moved a lot of segmented rear shoes but they unfortunately were quite different from originals)
Thanks
Steve A
The assemblyline shoes were bonded and not riveted from what I have seen.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelby1817

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 02:11:49 PM »
Just make sure you find or use NEW  Bonded if thats what you have to have. I had a bad experience with NOS Bonded shoes some 20 years ago . After installing them on my 66  the brake pedal felt really weird. turned out  the glue/bonding after all these years came apart, I had a few sets back then and my friends dad still had a 50's brake pad rivet machine, and we put rivets in the originals. Never an issue again, later on I was able to buy a whole case of segmented riveted shoes, which I recently sold. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 02:31:44 PM »
I had some sets rebuilt recently by a old time brake company that mainly rebuilt bonded brakes for big trucks up until recently. It was apparently good enough for all of the commercial trucks that used them. Unfortunately the company owners retired and closed up . I am glad I got what I could done like assemblyline.

Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 04:05:52 PM »
Hi Bob, I will take a set of the '66 brake shoes. Email me how you would like me to pay you. Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 09:55:20 PM »
Hi Bob, I will take a set of the '66 brake shoes. Email me how you would like me to pay you. Ron
PM sent.