News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

instrument panel voltage regulator

Started by johnzajc@gmail.com, April 08, 2023, 10:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnzajc@gmail.com

Hi and Happy Easter-----I have flickering lights on my instrument panel and gauges---I would say it is time to replace Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator----quetion # 1 is printed board and regulator all in one piece or can I replace regulator separately---# 2 perhaps would anyone have good tip to do it accurately--- Thanks---John      1969 Shelby GT 500

67350#1242

I'm pretty sure the instrument panel lights are not powered by the regulator.  They are 12 volts.   My guess is that you may have a loose connection or loose ground.  Get in there and wiggle stuff around with the lights on.
Kurt.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Karguy

You might also consider checking your headlight switch. The potentiometer in your switch for adjusting the dash lights could be your problem.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

rhjanes

Quote from: Karguy on April 09, 2023, 09:41:29 AM
You might also consider checking your headlight switch. The potentiometer in your switch for adjusting the dash lights could be your problem.
Could be this.  You can try having the car running or key on and turn the knob back and forth about 10 times.  Knock the corrosion off. 
As stated, the instrument volt regulator makes it so the instruments get a constant voltage, I think 5.  But yes, the Volt Reg can be replaced by itself.  Biggest work is just getting to it but then it's like swapping a 9 Volt battery out. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

johnzajc@gmail.com

Thnks all for help---have tried it all--no luck--will let U know when I figure it out

Lincoln tech

Possible charging system problem , unplug voltage regulator while running and see if it goes away ( easy test )

johnzajc@gmail.com

Car starts no problem, all interior lights ok, just no instrument  panel and gauges. Tomorrow will buy another board but not sure if cluster regulator is separate or is part of the board. I do know that i can buy cluster voltage regulator separately [CLAZ-1O804] BUT how difficult is it to install   

Bob Gaines

Quote from: johnzajc@gmail.com on April 09, 2023, 08:12:47 PM
Car starts no problem, all interior lights ok, just no instrument  panel and gauges. Tomorrow will buy another board but not sure if cluster regulator is separate or is part of the board. I do know that i can buy cluster voltage regulator separately [CLAZ-1O804] BUT how difficult is it to install
John, first you said flickering lights and now instrument lights. You have probably already done this but just in case have you replaced the fuse for the instrument lights? It is a easy test if you haven't.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

johnzajc@gmail.com

HI---by flickering I meant lights on instrument panel and gauges on console---at this point I have checked everything that anyone recommended and tomorrow I will remove the instrument panel , I strongly suspect that culprit is cluster voltage regulator---the consoling thing is actually the feeling of comradery with overwhelming respond from members---thanks 

rhjanes

I just reread all this and I'm confused.
You seem to say dash lights in places, then gauges.  Do you mean the dash lights and the LIGHTS for the gauges?  If so, then it's not the instrument voltage regulator.  If the instrument voltage regulator is going out/shot, then your gauges "drift" up and down.  The needles/indicators drift up and down, or stay down.  If the gauge needles peg hard to the right, then they are grounded out.  But that gauge voltage regulator has nothing to do with a Dash Light issue. 

That all said, with the dash apart looking for loose wires on the lights, cracks in the plastic thing (I'm forgetting the name of it) that carries the current to all the gauges AND lights, loose grounds.....well you might as well put in a new gauge voltage regulator.  But a light problem isn't the regulator. 

And remember, if you don't find a definitive cause, then you also don't know which of 10 things you did, actually fixed it. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Lincoln tech

The plastic thing is called "Printed circuit board" and yes instrument voltage regulator ( cvr ) has nothing to do with gauge illumination , at this point it's not clear what problem he's having ???

Royce Peterson

Often the fuse panel gets rusty and no power gets to the instrument lights. The fuse terminals can be polished with a Drexel tool. There is no relationship between the panel lamps and the Instrument Voltage Regulator. The modern replacements work poorly.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock